Dr.  RK
Dr. RK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice

I have recurring problems with the muscles in the back of my

I have recurring problems with the muscles in the back of my neck being extremely sore and tight. Even if I stretch them out on my inversion table, run every day, and sleep on a good pillow, it seems like they cumulatively get worse during certain periods and no matter what I do they remain very sore. Do you know what the best muscle relaxer there is to take? Tylenol usually doesn't do much. However I don't want to get into the habit of taking something all the time for this. Thanks
Dear customer,

There are a lot of orally available muscle relaxants like carisoprodol, chlorphenesin carbamate, chlorzoxazone, cyclobenzaprine hydrochloride, diazepam, metaxalone, methocarbamol, and orphenadrine citrate.

You may take any one of them.The brand name drugs like flexon-MR is a good combination of pain killer and muscle relaxant and you may start a tablet 2-3 times a day according to the response.

You may also consult a neurosurgeon and have the MRI of the neck spine done to rule out any pathology.In some cases a cervical collar is helpful.In degenerative disease in some cases a surgery is indicated as well.

The treatment is according to the underlying cause.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you - is flexon over the counter? What is the best over the counter solution?

Dear customer,

The drug flexon-mr is available as OTc in many countries but you have to check with your country if its available as OTC.If its not available as otc then you may try any other which is available as otc in your country.

If its available on prescription then you may consult a near by doctor for the same.

thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What about something like advil? I need info for the United States, not other countries.

Dear customer,

In USA, it is not available as otc and you need to have a prescription by doctor to get them.

The drug advil contains ibuprofen and is a pain killer(NSAID) and is not a muscle relaxant.Though you can have your pain controlled but not the muscle spasm.

You can try other ways as well like gentle massage, application of heating pad, magnetic therapy, application of herbal balms etc. to control the symptoms.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, so what is the best OTC drug to take that is available in the US?

Dear customer,

The best drug in usa available as OTC is brufen(containing ibuprofen).It will help in controlling pain.

You may consult a chiropractitioner as well who may prescribe you cervical collar and some neck exercises.

If the symptoms are not relieved then you may consult a neurosurgeon for the surgical treatment which is also helpful in some cases.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you