Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

When i lay down to go to sleep,my right hand and arm fall asleep.

When i lay down to go to sleep,my right hand and arm fall asleep. Its getting worse. I have been doing alot of painting and weeding. Could I have pinched a nerve?
Hi--how long has this been going on and it only happens when you lay down? Any muscle weakness in the arm or hand?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

few weeks and no muscle weakness when it feels normal. yes only when laying down.

OK. A fair amount of times my patients with a problem like this think that it may be a circulation problem but I tell them that pins and needles and numbness is a nerve problem of some sort and not from a blood flow problem. It's likely that you have a disk problem in the neck even if you don't have any neck pain or neck stiffness and that when you lie down the disk bulges and presses on a nerve root. You need an MRI of the cervical spine to check for that and I would then refer you to a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD specialist--for a customized treatment program that should alleviate the symptoms.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is getting worse. my hand/arm still isnt right yet today. also, ive noticed alittle difficulty breathing. ALITTLE. like shallow. could a disk prob do that too? and mess with ur jaw muscles?

OK--any chest pain? Any change in skin color to the hand/arm or any swelling?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No,and I just had a routine followup chest ct for an abnornal chest xray from two yrs ago. Saw my pulmonary guy,my lungs r good.
OK, no, a disk problem wouldn't cause a breathing problem unless perhaps there were inspiratory chest pain but at the same time, I'm a bit concerned here. Even though cardiac pain usually affects only the left arm, when you talk about a breathing problem and arm pain, I can't fully rule out a heart cause here. The best thing for you to do is to call your doctor and let him know what's going on so he can take a look at you