Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),30yrs experience in practice

My left thumd has been twitching since I was a teenager. I

My left thumd has been twitching since I was a teenager. I seen a neurologist for it years ago and was prescribed Inderol with little help and I developed lung congestion from it. Now, years later, my doctor tells me it is familar tremors, prescibed me propranolol which is basically the same med. and I don't want to take it because of the side affects.
It is something that runs in my family and my right thumb and head is starting to shake also and getting worse. What is it and what can be done for it before I lose control of both of my thumbs.
I should tell you it is not vitamin deficiency or addiction Can you help?
Category: Health
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.

Vakul Aren :

Thank you for the question.Thumb twitching due to involuntary causes can occur due to carpal tunnel syndrome leading to damage to the median nerve ,repititive motion injury due to excessive texting or computer use,due to cramps and electrolyte imbalance(especially magnesium and Calcium), and certain drugs.Familial causes would include Parkinson's Disease,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and Multiple Sclerosis apart from from familial tremors. You need to seek a neurologist's opinion again to exclude the serious causes and proper management of the disease.

Customer:

I am sure it is not carpal tunnel, parkinson's nor MS doesn't run in the family, my older sister is worse than I am and she has not had any luck on a diagnosis either. I would think that if was those or ALS ,what ever it is, one of us would have been diagnosed by one of our doctors by now. We have kept up on our doctor visits. I don't want to settle for nothing can be done. Any other options?

Vakul Aren :

Medication for familial tremors would include Primidone and Proranolol in adults, other drugs would include Gabapentin,Topimarate and Clozapine and benzodiazepines like clonazepam. It would take some trial and error to get the right drug.

Customer:

I was prescribed gabapentin for something different, which I still take occasionally, but no change. I take men's multi vitamins and trace mineral suppliment. Eat very well. Haven't tried the other meds you mention. Was wondering if sugery on a nerve without losine use of thums would be an option? I don't like the beta blocker meds.

Vakul Aren :

Thalamic Deep brain stimulation has been used successfully,as also gamma knife surgery /Thalamotomy in cases resistant to medication.

Customer:

Is that brain surgery?

Vakul Aren :

Yes.

Customer:

what are the risks?

Vakul Aren :

The potential adverse effects / risks include intracerebral hemorrhage,speech disturbance,ataxia,motor loss,dystonia and memory dysfunction.Most of the cases of essential tremors treated surgically had almost no serious side effects apart from dysarthria and mild cognitive verbal defect in a study .

Customer:

Thalamic Deep brain stimulation is this done with electrodes?

Vakul Aren :

Yes.Sorry,I have to go now as I have a emergency call from the hospital.

Customer:

I can respect that but I would have figured the doctors on here would have time set aside to keep the integrity of this sight and stay on line until the costomer was satisfied. You have done a fairly good job at giving me answers but I am not 100% satisfied because of you having to leave suddenly.

Vakul Aren :

Sorry,a emergency is just that,it pops up at anytime!A patient with a traumatic pneumothorax needed to be stabilised,we took a quite some time in that.I would like to answer any remaining questions you have to get a positive rating and satisfy you.

Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),30yrs experience in practice