Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

ive recently notices that my feet are swelling alot, im not

i've recently notices that my feet are swelling alot, i'm not on my feet that often, do not use hardly any salt and my legs are usually elevated. this scares me what can it be a sign of.
Hi--how long has this been going on and is it only your feet and not your legs? Is the swelling down in the morning before you get out of bed? And the weight gain--is that just from overeating?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i wake up with them swollen and they stay and get worse as the day goes on.just my feet, i don';t eat that much, just very inactive. do you think it could have to do with anything cardiovascular?

OK--here are the possibilities and you obviously need to have your doctor evaluate this as soon as possible. Congestive heart failure, but usually that also involves shortness of breath and significant fatigue. Kidney or liver failure. Deep venous thromboses (clots) in the leg veins. Possibly low thyroid if you're gaining weight without eating that much. And, finally, incompetent leg vein valves which causes venous stasis in the legs. Except for the last two, the others would really be medical emergencies so you should call your doctor either now or certainly first thing in the morning.