Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Can allergies make you lose your voice?

Can allergies make you lose your voice?

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

Yes there can be possible connections there....

Anthony Bray MD :

If you had allergies that caused inflammation of the vocal cords then this could make you hoarse or lose you voice...

Anthony Bray MD :

Also if you had an allergy related cough this can secondarily irritate and inflames the vocal cords...

Anthony Bray MD :

Do you have general allergy symptoms consistent with hay fever or asthma//

Anthony Bray MD :

Laryngitis that is short teem may be most commonly caused by viral infection however....

Customer:

I have never had allergies before, but within the last month I have lost my voice twice and runny nose.

Customer:

And coughing but I do not feel sick. No fever or anything like that

Anthony Bray MD :

I see... it does sound plusible that your symptoms could be allergy related but just from this a viral URI would also seem possible. I would suggest that you try over the counter Zyrtec once a day ...

Anthony Bray MD :

You may also benefit to use an anti-inflammatory med such as Aleve 1 to 2 tabs twice a day with food and try to rest your voice...

Anthony Bray MD :

Any sneezing or itching of the nose or palate?? These would be consistent with allergic causes...

Anthony Bray MD :

Do you have any trouble with heartburn? High reflux to the back of the thraot can also be a cause of laryngitis...

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope this information helps! Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back wtih you!

Customer:

Sneezind and itchy nose. No heartburn.

Anthony Bray MD :

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfation then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated!Thank you and best regards....

Customer:

I will try the zyrtec and aleve. Thanks