Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

can a man give you genital hereps from oral sex?

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--just to be clear here, were you tested and if so were you positive for type 1 or type 2 herpes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes have been tested and the tests came back positive for type 2..

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--yes it is possible for HSV 2 to be transmitted orally from a man to a women, but since the risk is very rare that's why it may take some time and several encounters before the woman is infected. Of course, if you've had unprotected penis-to-vagina sex with him, that would be much more likely the reason you got infected
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks that explains why it has taken so long for me to get symptoms.. Is it possible that he is takening antiviral medicines as to why it has taken so long for me to get infected as well??

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, yes, antiviral can suppress viral load so it could cause the transmission to take longer. Hope this helps and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is it possible that i had the infection for some time but did not know and just now had a mild outbreak... If so what are the chances of my partner beening infected now??

I have been told it is more common that a man infects a women is this true..

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Do you know the IgM and IgG values of the test?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no i was not told and i did not ask as i dont know what they are.. what are they..

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Two different antibodies and both are usually checked in the screening. If there's only positive IgM's then it is a recent infection. If there's only IgG's then it's an infection sometime in the past. It is very possible not to get the first outbreak for months to years after the virus is transmitted. As for your partner getting infected it it were you and not him that was first infected, yes there is a chance with unprotected vaginal sex but the chances aren't very high
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how easy is it to infect other partners with unprotected sex??

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not really all that easy but with repeated episodes of unprotected sex, eventually there will be transmission. But if you check and it was only your IgM antibodies that were elevated, then he infected you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i was certin that he infected me as it was only 2 weeks ago i got a few lumps it was so very mild and i did not get any other symtpoms at all... but now im wondering if i had the virus all the time.....

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Again--if it wasn't done, all you have to do is to have the two antibody levels checked--if you only have elevated IgM's then it is a recent infection and you didn't have it before the sex.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have been reading all sorts of blogs on the net some say its easy to get infected from unprocted sex and some say it take a few times before you get infected sooo what is true how easy is it to get infected...

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Blogs aren't very good sources of medical information. The statistics are about one in ten if you have regular sex for a year if it's protected and one in five otherwise
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

awesome thanks soooo much for your help... i now just have to wait for the IgM/IgG to get the turth now...Very muchly appreciated...

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure but please let me know how it goes and don't forget to rate my answers please
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice