Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

ONCOLOGY EXPERT ONLY - MY FRIEND DISCOVERED A LUMP IN HER BREAST

ONCOLOGY EXPERT ONLY - MY FRIEND DISCOVERED A LUMP IN HER BREAST AND HAD NEVER HAD A MAMMO AS SHE IS JUST 41. IT WAS DETERMINED THAT IT SHOULD BE BIOPSIED IMMEDIATELY AND THEN THAT CHEMO SHOULD BEGIN QUICKLY. tHEY DID NOT REMOVE THE BREAST. SHE HAS HAD HER CHEMO, LAST ONE THIS FRIDAY BUT NOW THEY SAY THEY MUST ALSO DO RADIATION. WHY DIDN'T THEY DO BOTH TOGETHER AND WHY DID THEY SO QUICKLY DO THE CHEMO WHEN THEY COULDN'T EVEN TELL THE EXTENT OF THE CANCER? WOULD WHAT THEY FOUND IN THE BIOPSY HAVE DICTATED THE SPEED THEY BEGAN THE CHEMO?
Hi--can I first ask if the biopsy was the only test that was done on your friend?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

AFTER HER FIRST MAMMO THE BIOPSY WAS DONE RIGHT AWAY.

I ASSUME ANY OTHER TESTS THEY NORMALLY WOULD DO WERE ALSO DONE- bloodwork etc. - before they began chemo.

Was it just an excisional biopsy of the lump or was there any axillary lymph node dissection?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Only the lumpectomy at the site.

OK--I'll try to answer your question here but I don't have all the information I need to be exact--not your fault. I would imagine that the cancer was found to be follicular breast cancer which is a very aggressive cancer and usually both chemo and radiation therapy are recommended for that, even if there is no evidence of lymph node involvement or metastatic disease. As to the order of chemo and radiation therapies, it doesn't matter which is done first, but usually the chemo is given first and to give both at the same time would likely exacerbate the potential side effects of the chemo.