Dr. Nomi
Dr. Nomi, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor,UK

Im a kidney donor, 6 month now, i have been discharge from

I'm a kidney donor, 6 month now, i have been discharge from hospital-followups with ( go have a normal life you have nothing to do with us any more ) by the my Dr and i started having Erectile dysfunction in somehow and i dont know if it's physical or temporary psychological problem, my question is "can i take viagra at the time till i discover the problem" or dose it harm the remaning kidney ?
I think erectile dysfunction is psychological in origin and temporary.It has nothing to do with kidney removal.You can take Viagra without any problem it will not effect your remaining kidney.No worries.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX you think about the below article :

This is the first study in medical literature to suggest that surgery for kidney removal can negatively impact erectile function while partial kidney removal can protect sexual function," said the study's senior author Ithaar Derweesh, MD, of the University of California San Diego Health System.

Study results showed that, about six years after surgery, male patients who had their entire kidney removed were 3.5 times more likely to develop erectile dysfunction, compared to those who had kidney reconstruction.

"What we are seeing is a dramatic yet delayed effect," said Dr. Derweesh.

"The primary argument for kidney-sparing surgery over total kidney removal has been to preserve the kidney filtration function," said Ryan Kopp, MD, of the UC San Diego School of Medicine and lead author of the study.

"However, we are also beginning to understand that total kidney removal may also increase the risk of metabolic diseases and significantly decrease quality of life," he said.