Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

i had a ct scan last monday4/1/2013 it came back with-lung

i had a ct scan last monday4/1/2013 it came back with-lung basee, hypoventilatory changes, hepatobiliay: mild fatty infiltration of the liver. bones and soft tissues: tiny fat -containing umbilical hernia, als blood work came back with low anion gap of 8.7 i have had low anion gap before a few times as low as 4.87 and as high as 10.06 should i be concerned or not
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Hypoventilatory changes mean that your lungs are not receiving good amount of oxygen . This might be due temporary due to lung infection but could be due to scar formation in the lungs due to long term lung inflammation.

Tiny hernia with fat in the umbilicus is not significant unless it is causing discomforting symptoms.

Low anion gap could be due to multiple conditions like metabolic imbalances, low blood protein, presence of abnormal protein in blood. So, you do need evaluation for this.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to choose accept or to rate me excellent service ( 5 or 4 positive rating)to give credit for my answer and time.Bonuses are warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my doctor said tha the hypoventory change are from not breating in deeply enough when having the ct scan, and he says nothing to worry about the anion gap test, i wonder if he is just passive with the results but iam at his advice

Hypoventilatory changes could be transient depending on the CT findings.

But a low anion gap needs further evaluation.

If your latest anion gap was 8.7 meq/L, it is in the normal range. (Normal serum range : 8 to 16 meq/L).

I hope my answer has helped you.