Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

My wife has unidentified swelling in her foot. She has been

Customer Question

My wife has unidentified swelling in her foot. She has been to 12 doctors and no one can seem to determine the cause. The recent recommendation is to have a pain block injection to see if that stops the swelling/pain. Should we be considering alternative treatments?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--how long has this been going on and is there pain involved? What part of the foot is swollen and have any studies been done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Foot is swollen at the top, where the toes meet the foot and partially around the ankle. No trauma or impact. Some moderate pain/discomfort.

She has had MRIs, ultrasounds, etc. All normal results.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--was any injury or trauma involved with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, as I mentioned, no trauma. She woke up one morning and it was swollen.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. You mentioned a pain block injection--can you tell me a bit more about what her doctor said about that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pain block should block the pain and may reduce swelling. It's called a sympathetic pain block. He's not sure if it will work. We're also concerned about the risks with an injection into her spine wheeln a clear diagnosis hasn't presented itself.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I understand. Has she had an MRI of the spine and perhaps a ct scan of the abdomen and pelvis?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has had a lumbar spine MRI that came back normal. She has not had a ct scan of her ab and pelvis. What are your thoughts there? Should she delay the pain block?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--this could be something called sympathetic reflex dystrophy which is a nerve inflammation problem usually seen after injuries but not always. The pain block would help with that but I think she also needs nerve conduction studies of the leg to check for SRD and I would also get the ct of the abdomen and pelvis to make sure she doesn't have a mass there that could be blocking the lymphatic flow from her leg.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has done an ultrasound of the veins and arteries and everything was normal. Would that rule out a need for a ct scan?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No--that was to check for a clot in the leg veins but it wouldn't rule out a pelvic mass