Dr. Amir Javed
Dr. Amir Javed, Doctor
Experience:  Master in Internal medicine (London), MBBS, expert in health and fitness (six years experience)
16101430

Hi, I have been having lower abdominal pain and discomfort

Hi, I have been having lower abdominal pain and discomfort for a good few months, The pain or discomfort is worse after sexual intercourse also giving me the sensation that I need to constantly urinate, I have had two internal scans and both have showed my uterus etc to be health only showing that my uterus is tilted backwards but was told this is not the cause of any of my symptoms. I have been in and out of my GP and they seem to come out with nothing. I woud like to know what could be wrong with me and how to solve it as it affects my daily life.
Thank you
Susana
Thanks for the question and coming on Just Answer. I would like to have few important details. History of diarrhea or constipation? Lowe abdominal pain is generalized or more marked on the right or left side? Any discomfort during urination? How's your monthly cycle?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for getting back to me, I have always suffered from constipation since an early age due to being lactose intolerant, also have a very sensitive stomach so occasionally have diarrhea. The lower abdominal pain is mainly in the center but often feel sharp pain on either side mainly after sexual intercourse. No discomfort during urination only the sensation of needing to go more regularly. I came off the pill a year ago and since then it hasent been very regular.

Thanks for the details. I would like to say that there are few important possibilities which should be investigated such as urinary tract infection, Pelvic inflammatory disease, hormonal imbalance, irritable bowel syndrome. I will suggest further tests such as urine culture, fasting blood sugar level, blood estrogen/progesterone level, c-reactive protein, defecography. I will suggest to add probiotics in diet, take at least five portions of vegetables or fruits in a day. Avoid junk or spicy food. Your GP might consider to refer you to Gynaecologist & Gastroenterologist depending on the examination findings and further these test results.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to click either 2 "poor service" or 1 "bad service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. My goal is excellent service which is rating 5. Rating of 4 or 5 is highly highly appreciated as this is the only way we doctors can get credit here. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Best wishes

Dr. Amir Javed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have been tested for urinary track infection, endrometiosis and cysts in my ovaries and all came back negative, also I have been seen by 2 Gynaecologists and nothing has been found. Thank you for your advise I will take this to my GP, but are you able to hint what could possibly be causing these symptoms?

That's good and next step should be as I suggested to refer you to Gastroenterologist because of persistent abdominal pain. There might need to do further some specific tests as I mentioned including colonoscopy. If nothing will found in all these tests which I mentioned including colonoscopy then most likely its Irritable bowel syndrome which is a disease of exclusion. Try to follow the guidelines and add probiotics in diet.

Best wishes

Dr. Amir Javed.