Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

I wake up at about 4 am every day, and have trouble falling

I wake up at about 4 am every day, and have trouble falling asleep again. I go to be between 10pm and midnight. During the day I feel tired so would like to know how to get a full nights rest.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

You may try a start with over the counter melatonin >> this product can help as a sleep aid and may be helpful for you to try....

Anthony Bray MD :

If this does not work then you may then wish to visit your doctor... a precription sleep aid such as Trazadone would probably be helpful to stop this pattern of early awakening and trouble getting back to sleep...

Anthony Bray MD :

Are you depressed?? This is sometimes a cause of this pattern of sleep disturbance....

Customer:

I was hoping to avoid taking a medication. I was wondering if the cause could be determined.

Customer:

no I am not depressed or stressed...

Anthony Bray MD :

OK >> nothing recent with any major change >> sometimes even positive things such as a job promotion may bring stress....

Anthony Bray MD :

Do you get regular exercise?? A regular exercise routine in genral would tend to benefit your sleep pattern...

Anthony Bray MD :

Do you sleep with lights off and TV off??

Anthony Bray MD :

Sometimes such bad habits as leaving these on may cause trouble....

Anthony Bray MD :

Do you have to get up at night to urinate??

Anthony Bray MD :

Are you overweight and/or do you snore?? Obstructive sleep apnea can be a cause of these symptoms...

Anthony Bray MD :

I would suggest that you be more consitent with a bedtime such as 11PM... the irregular time to bed would tend to work against you.. you want to have your body clock very regular...

Customer:

There have been some positive changes, that could be causing stress/excitement.

Customer:

I excercise regularly

Customer:

sleep with lights and TV off

Anthony Bray MD :

Yes it is possible... planning to get married, having a baby would be some examples of positive changes that do bring unanticipated stress...

Customer:

no, I don't need to get up to urinate. Not over weight. Do snore occassionally.

Customer:

I had surgery on a deviated septum a couple years ago

Anthony Bray MD :

I see... then I would suggest that you try to get more exercise, regular bedtime and maybe consider the melatonin and if not improving within a few weeeks then consider seeing your doctor about the problem. The snoring on occasion may be harmless BUT could be a sign of obstructive sleep apnea.. a sleep study could help to determine if this were a problem...

Anthony Bray MD :

If related to positive change type stress then this type would usually settle down with a few weeks (depending on the nature of the change of course)

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope that this is helpful... let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!

Anthony Bray MD :

If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX was very helpful and informative

Anthony Bray MD :

You are very welcome!

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope that this improves soon for you!

Anthony Bray MD :

Take Care!

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice