Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

im trying to find a diet not only to lose weight but, for

Customer Question

i'm trying to find a diet not only to lose weight but, for lifelong health. amoungst dieticians and nutritionist there seems to be a lot of emphisis on on whole grain , non-processed foods, no preservatives, no chemicals; no genetics. i just don't get it. if the general population wants and/or needs this wouldn't most food producers provide it. i'm assumming processing food adds additional cost to the product so, leave it out and make more profit. i understand most store bought products need a preservative to stay fresh longer but, ifcould'nt food processors just educate their customers to buy fresh. and what's the problem with genetically alter food. isn't it chemically the same as non-genetic food. thanks, j
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.
Greetings John.

Following is a sample diet (healthy and to reduce body weight);

Breakfast;

1 Cup Cooked Oatmeal
Omelet (3 Egg Whites, 1 Slice Cheese, 1 Cup Broccoli)
Green tea
Orange or apple

Lunch

Light Tuna one can
Orange or Apple
3-4 slices of whole wheat bread
Water or Diet Soda

Snack

Brazil nuts

Dinner

One cup whole wheat pasta
Two chicken breasts
One cup of cooked cauliflower
Half Cup Marinara Sauce
Water

The general dietary advice would be;

1) Dietary fiber; Soluble fiber is present in foods such as beans, oats, barley, and fruits and vegetables.

2) Phytosterols; Phytosterols are present in small amounts in nuts, seeds, and vegetable oils. There are many products on the market that contain phytosterols for total- and LDL-C lowering. These products are orange juice, yogurt, margarine spreads, salad dressings, breads, cereals, milk, and granola bars. Phytosterols also are available in soft-gel pills.

3) Soy protein is healthy.

5) Alcohol; if one takes, limit it to 20-30 ml per day.

Following dietary pattern may be helpful;

1) Red meat in low frequency and amounts

2) Minimally processed seasonally fresh foods

3) Less than five eggs per week

4) An abundance of plant foods; fruits, vegetables, potatoes, breads, grains, beans, nuts, and seeds

5) Olive oil as the principal source of dietary fat

6) Fresh fruits as the typical daily dessert

7) Wine in low to moderate amounts; two glass per day for men.

The stores sell processed, preserved and genetically altered foods due to business compulsions. There are issues about logistics, high transit time and need for long shell life. All these increase the expiry of the food. So while opposite is healthy, it may not bring the profits. The genetically altered food may not be essentially unhealthy, Though some of the foods may be less easily digestible.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks for reply. although your diet appears healthy it seems like a lot more calories than iv'e been used to consuming. i eating about 1200 to 1500 cal. per day, no exercise, no weight loss.

i still don't get the processed food arguement. ironically, the dieticians/nutricianists i refer to are employed by one of the largest supermarchet chains in my state. their dieticians probably are published about once a month in local newspaper touting a diet of non-processed foods. why would a large supermarket chain wamt them to do that.

Hello John,

The diet I mentioned is a sample diet and is about 1800 calories, so you may cut some portions to bring down to your calorie requirements. A mild exercise like brisk walking would be necessary as it builds up the muscle which in long term use more calories and help in weight reduction. The large supermarket adhere to what the doctors and scientific studies say. But in business practice, they are unable to stick to it solely. They have to do other measures too to sustain the business. So while when they advertise it apparently seems to be a social cause, which has a good face value. But when the bulk of the food is not fresh, people pick up from the shelves which may not be very healthy.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

most diets iv'e been on recommend 3 to 5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day. i just can't force down that much so, i turned to a V8 juice. on the label it says each serving equals one serving of fruits and vegis. when i look at the nutritional facts label i don't see anymore vitamins and minerals to get from this product than i get from a daily vitamin/mineral supplement. i realize one gets fiber from fruits and vegis but, i can take a fiber supplement. iv'e gained about 20 to 30 lbs in the last month on a 1200 to 1500 cal. per day diet. i just don't get it. i met with my endochronolist today. my tsh was .86. she doesn't want to lower it any more because of concerns for heart and bone problems. as i think iv'e said in the past , last year i was on a very intense exercise and diet program for 8 months. i didn't lose a pound. how come.

Hello and welcome, John.

Despite the intense exercises and diet restriction, an increase in weight may also need to be looked for;

1) secondary hyperaldosteronism,
2) primary abnormalities of the hypothalamus,
3) Abnormalities of thyroid,
4) dopaminergic release

Hormones work in integral fashion with the other hormones and one hormonal abnormality may be associated with another; so you need to discuss the blood work for the pituitary and adrenal glands too, with your doctor.

You may take VB juice and fiber supplements with an over the counter the vitamin supplement. This will take care of your overall nutritional need (since you are unable to eat recommended allowance of vegetables and fruits) and will assist in reducing the weight.

It is privilege assisting you.