Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

I had fish for dinner on Friday which I dont think agreed

I had fish for dinner on Friday which I don't think agreed with me as I was ill Friday night and all weekend. I was bed bound all Saturday but only threw up once Saturday night. I have had constant headaches, dizziness, nausea, back pain, chills and tiredness ever since. Could you please confirm that it is food poisoning or whether it could be something else? I have also found it hard to eat as I don't feel hungry and it makes me feel even more nauseous, and my stools are a funny yellow colour.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

I am Dr.Charles and I'm happy to help with your question today.I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Do you have loose stools/diarrhea?

Is there any pain in abdomen/cramps?

Do you have fever?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for getting back to me. As far as I'm aware my stools aren't loose, just a yellowy colour. I have been suffering from abdominal pains but my back is now the worst pain. Also, I had a high temperature Saturday night but I feel fine now, no fever.

Dear Hannah,

Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I've taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

The symptoms you are having can be due to a condition called gastroenteritis what you call as stomach flu.Gastroenteritis is the irritation and inflammation of the digestive tract.

Its most common causes are:Food poisoning, viral infections, food allergies, improper diet, and intestinal parasites or bacterial infections.This may last upto several days and a prescription medication may be required.

The most probable cause seems to be food poisoning because of fish you had for dinner on friday.

You can take the following medications:

-Tab meclizine hydrochloride(brand name: Dramamine).This will help you greatly in
stopping the nausea.

-Tab.Acetaminophen for relief from back pain & abdominal pains/cramps.

Watch your symptoms for the next 2-3 days, if still the symptoms persists,then you may need antibiotics & anti amoebic medications to cure this. In most cases,this gets resolved with the above symptomatic treatment.

Hope this helped

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards-

Dr Charles

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for replying,

I have had gastroenteritis before after suffering with the norovirus in January. This doesn't seem like another episode as I am not constantly on the toilet like I was before with diarrhea. I have only thrown up once but since then I have felt very nauseous. I have eaten today but struggled to as I wasn't feeling hungry (i basically forced myself to eat). Every other symptom I mentioned, the headaches, back pain, nausea, tiredness, are all new symptoms as well.

Thanks

Dear Hannah

I am happy to answer your follow up question.

The out come symptoms of gastroenteritis may vary from previous episodes.Usually food poisoning results in diarrhea & episodes of vomiting.

If the infection is not severe(as is yours) there can only be occasional episode of vomiting.

The symptoms you are having is most probably because of food poisoning.

Dont take solid diet.Let your stomach rest for few days after food poisoning., Start with liquid diet.

Gradually increase the amount of liquid .Try clear liquids such as flat ginger ale or white soda, broths, popsicles, or apple juice. These will provide an oral source of fluids that are easily absorbed in the gastrointestinal tract.If clear liquids are tolerated, you can start to introduce solid foods.First start with low fibre foods like cooked cereals, plain rice.

All this will help you greatly.Antibiotics may be prescribed if the symptoms are not relieved in next 2-3 days.

Hope this helped

My main motive is your satisfaction.If you still have any questions in mind,please feel free to ask.

Kind Regards-

Dr Charles

Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience: Internal medicine specialist