Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

This is a question about fitness where I would like to know

This is a question about fitness where I would like to know if I'm on the right track in terms of :
1. My calorie needs
2. Exercise routine.

I have been pretty active with sports all my life but I recently started working out in the gym i.e lifting weights.

I'm a 25 year old guy. Weight: 57.5 kgs, Height 5.6". I think I'm on the top spectrum of an ectomorph, closer to being a mesomorph but still a hard-gainer and I go the gym pretty much everyday. I would like to get to 70 kgs with mostly lean muscle. I know its gonna take time so I don't mind if it takes a year or two but I would prefer lean muscle than bulking up like crazy with fat.

I have used online BMR calculators and they say I have a BMR of 1800 calories if I just sit around all day, a BMR of 2500 if I exercise almost every day of the week and I need a 3100 cals if I plan on gaining a pound per week. I get those calories mostly from whole foods and some from protein shakes and try to keep a macro ratio of 45-35-20 (C-P-F)

Arms and Chest, Legs and back, Rest, Shoulders, Cardio. I try to do some abs everyday too and I workout no more than 60 minutes per day and try to make it high intensity with little rest.

So, again I just want to know if I'm on the right track in terms of :
1. My calorie needs
2. Exercise routine
Hi--just one somewhat silly sounding question here--what exactly is your goal when you refer to fitness?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would say, my goal is to increase my weight to about 70 kgs with mostly lean muscle instead of fat. I just wanted to know if I'm on the right track with regards XXXXX XXXXX diet and exercise routine when I'm starting out rather than finding out after some months that I have been doing it all wrong.

OK. Actually it looks like you have the right plan with the right numbers here. With your exercise plan and the extra calories with a preponderance of protein, you should gain muscle mass and decrease the fat and still gain some weight since muscle weighs more than fat. I really can't find any holes in your plan here.