Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Hello. I work in a science lab and yesterday while cutting

Hello. I work in a science lab and yesterday while cutting frozen infant stool samples to weigh and aliquot into tubes, I cut myself with a scalpel. I had just cut the sample, so the blade was dirty, and the cut was pretty deep. It bled a lot, but we put pressure on it and antibacterial ointment and a bandaid. We weren't sure if I needed stitches, I didn't go to the doctor. I washed it, or tried my best to, with antibacterial soap. It got pretty swollen, but I figure that's natural. Do I need to see a doctor, or get a tetanus shot, etc?

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : Yes I would strongly suggest that you have this wound checked by a doctor!!
Anthony Bray MD : The clearly contaminated wound would be more expected to proceed to worsening infection than not despite the care that you have it!
Anthony Bray MD : You probably should be treated with an oral antibiotic.
Anthony Bray MD : You would be advised to receive a tetanus booster if you have not had one in the past 5 years.
Anthony Bray MD : The wound may be evaluated for possible need for stitches but I suspect this will not likely be the case since this occurred yesterday and would also be considered a "dirty" wound.
Anthony Bray MD : The need for stitches or other wound closure is a judgment call that requires examination of the wound. The sooner you have a wound examined after any injury the more likely it is thAt wound closure would benefit you.
Anthony Bray MD : Keep the wound clean and protected with bandage ...NEVER leave a wet bandage on... KEEP DRY!!
Anthony Bray MD : cleaning wound with simple soap and water is Ok ....
Anthony Bray MD : you may use a dilute solution of Hibiclens( antiseptic soap found in any pharmacy) to clean wound with dressing changes ....then apply Neosporin ( or similar antibiotic ointment) and cover Gain with dry bandage...
Anthony Bray MD : NEVER clean a wound with hydrogen peroxide!! This is a common error... It does kill bacteria but also kills normal tissue and delays wound healing....
Anthony Bray MD : I hope that this information helps !
Anthony Bray MD : Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!
Customer: Oh man =( my friend helped me clean it with hydrogen peroxide this morning. I wont do that anymore then
Anthony Bray MD : yes as I said it is very common error....
Customer: Thank you very much!
Customer: Yes it did help. Maybe i will go to the clinic tomorrow, will that be too late? I havent had my tetanus shot in at least 10 years
Anthony Bray MD : I hope this has been helpful for you! I'm happy to get back to you with any further questions...
Anthony Bray MD : no that should be OK!
Anthony Bray MD : Good luck and heal quickly !!
Customer: Ok...well thank you!
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD