Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I have about6little rash like bumps on my spine but pain throughout

Customer Question

I have about6little rash like bumps on my spine but pain throughout that part if my back. The pain is under my skin and is as wide an area as my hand. Shay our this be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi-- how long has this been going on and can you describe the bumps a little more? Are these like small blisters and what is the color of the skin around them?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just took a picture on my iphone how do i send it?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
If you have the paper clip icon on this page you can use that. Otherwise you can post it at photobucket or imageshack or snapfish and give me the link. If all those won't work, just give me a verbal description
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm doing this for my boyfriend how is in such pain , getting photo to you. He says the pain seems to be on a muscle above his kidney.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK--let's just go with the description--are the little bumps like blisters and is the surrounding skin a sort of red/purplish color? Did the pain start before the rash appeared?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you have an email
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
We can't use emails here. Please just give me the verbal description and I can answer your question from that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Right on the spine approaching the back waistline, nothing else but to the right of that it's really tender, painful and around his right side like a band until about under his arm, maybe a little bit further. He can lay on his front. Cannot put pressure on that area at all. Otherwise his back is perfect. It seems connected to muscle pain right above kidney area. He's a tennis player but hasn't played for a while (onwe week) because of a wrist injury.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK--this sounds for all the world like shingles, also known as Herpes Zoster (not the STD genital herpes). It's the chicken pox virus that stays dormant in the body for a lifetime and can reappear like this. Acyclovir is a prescription antibiotic that can help with the course of this and he should see a doctor about that. This will resolve on its own in a week or so but he really should get the prescription
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Why do people get shingles? What brings it on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can he have breakfast?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
As I said, it's the chickenpox virus that he most have had probably as a child. Sometimes stress or a viral illness like the flu can bring on shingles, and it can be a sign of an occult--hidden--cancer but that's not very common at all. Many people have one attack of shingles and that's all they ever have. He can have breakfast, yes