Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I had colorectal cancer, had an ilicostomy bag for 6 month,

I had colorectal cancer, had an ilicostomy bag for 6 month, did corrective surgery, now I have 20 plus bowel movements per day- unbearable pain and burning, can anyone help ??? please
Hi--do you mean that the ileostomy was reversed and I assume your doctor has looked into your problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes the ileostomy was reversed on feb.6/13 ,had way to many bowel movements per day, I talked to the Doctor-He did another colonoscopy on april 3/13 and said all looks normal, but it is unbearable,what can I do ??? I have done blood work,stool samples . what is left-stop eating and starve ??

How much of your colon is left and have you had other studies besides the colonoscopy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He took out 6-8 " of my colon and left about 1" of my rectum ,

OK but have you seen a gaatroenterologist and had other testing like upper endoscopy and blood work to see what else may be the problem besides your surgery?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no they have not done a gastroenterologist nor a endoscopy but i have done blood work,

OK--you need to see a gastroenterologist for more evaluation because although this could be irritable bowel syndrome you may have a malabsorption condition like pancreatic insufficiency or celiac disorder. I don't think this is related to your surgery--you should have more than enough colon left for that not to be the problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had a gastroscopy done on april 3/13 as well

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What other symptoms might I be experiencing if it is either pancreatic insufficiency or celiac disorder?

Sorry for the delay. You'd probably also have abdominal pain and cramping and you also need to have a screen for H pylori if that hasn't been done. It takes upper endoscopy biopsies and special blood work to look for celiac disorder
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no I do not have any abdominal pain or cramping, but I forgot to tell you that I had 5 weeks of 5fu chemo and 6 weeks of radiation in May and June, before I had my first surgery which was July 24/13

OK--and the colonoscopy was completely normal?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes he said it looks normal and he also said no concerns
OK--if you had had radiation therapy before that can cause an ischemic colitis but if the scope was normal, then that isn't the problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ya he said - all looks normal,biopsies taken,tiny polyp removed from esophogus-no concerns. but as far as i'm concerned 20 + bowel movements per day is not normal!! I WISH someone could tell me what to do so I could have a more normal life and go back to work

I understand completely. Tell me--have you been given any medication for this?