Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years

My father had a heart surgery - a periocardial window procedure

My father had a heart surgery - a periocardial window procedure - at the end of November. We thought he'd healed well and he was given a clean bill of health. This past week he has been complaining that the scar hurts when he moves in certain ways- it feels tight & uncomfortable. This is new. He has an appt with his primary care physician on Monday - but I am wondering if he should have someone at the ER look at it tomorrow. Any suggestions? He does not have a fever.
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Is he having shortness of breath or painful breathing?
Does he has dizziness?
Numbness in left arm?
Any other associated symptoms?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just asked him - none of those symptoms. He says it hurts when he stretches or goes for walks. He said it feels like a sore cut while it is healing. The scar is redder than it was.

My dad had pericarditis in Nov - it's made him much weaker than he ws previously -kind of fragile. He has also been under major stress - his wife died a few weeks ago.

My gut instinct is telling me we shouldn't wait until Monday - would love any suggestions. Thanks!
Karla, Thanks for all these additional details.
I am sorry to hear about loss of your mother. I understand that it would be very stressful phase of life.

During Pericardial Window procedure a opening is made in the pericardium to drain fluid that has accumulated around the heart.
Usually, in most cases, after surgery scar tissue is normal and harmless, but in some cases it can cause medical problems based on its location and size.

Usually scar tissue is thicker, pinker, redder or shinier than the rest of a person's skin. It may also pull on other areas, compress nerves, blood vessels and organs and limit physiological functioning of heart. This can cause pain or dysfunction.
It is possible that it may restrict many layers of muscle and connective tissue, this has caused pain. It is possible that it can be just a muscular pain or it can be serious issue( though chances are slim)
A through clinical examination has to be done ASAP. I would not wait till Monday.
It is advised to visit ER for prompt management. Please get him checked in ER ASAP.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.