Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice
1725470

Im 35 and have been trying to get pregnant. My period is usually

I'm 35 and have been trying to get pregnant. My period is usually pretty normal, about a 26-27 day cycle. My period two months ago was six days late. My last period was 26 days later and my breasts were sore for a few weeks prior to getting it. For ten or eleven days after my period my breasts were still sore and felt HEAVY Now it's been 14 days since my last period began, and I'm spotting yesterday and today.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Breast can feel heavy during a menstrual cycle due to fluid retention caused by high levels of progesterone.

If your last period was normal with normal blood flow, the symptoms you are having now is not due to a pregnancy.

It is likely that you are going through a hormonal upset - this will cause irregular periods as as well as spotting and heaviness in the breasts.

Please consult an Obgyn. Since you are trying to get pregnant, and are 35 years old, it will be better to get an ultrasound done to check the uterus and ovaries as well as blood tests. Since spotting can be caused by causes like uterine fibroids or polyps, an ultrasound will be able to identify them.

I hope this helps.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.. It is my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me by clicking on OK Service or above - it is only the way I get credit for helping you. Leaving a Bonus will be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My oldest daughter (who is adopted, I've never had kids myself) is 13 years old and she just started her period today, a week earlier than normal for her. Could my issue be related to her cycle? I have heard that female's cycles can regulate to match one another. Just wanted to know if this "hormonal upset" might have to do with her?

Thanks

Jessica,

It is unlikely that your issue could be related to your daughter's cycle. Although some women do seem to be able to sync their cycles, ti is very uncommon and i doubt that your hormonal upset could be related to her.

You need to get an ultrasound and blood tests for a diagnosis.

I hope this helps.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Twenty years experience in active private practice