Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I began cbt therapy yesterday I during the morning before I

I began cbt therapy yesterday I during the morning before I get dressed I have a habit of staring at my feet either from standing up or sitting down position. Does this cause any harm and how can I stop the repetition of doing this action? I am able now to lessen the amount of time doing this but how can I stop it altogether?
Hi--so you saw a new therapist?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes he was very good didn't discuss foot problem though ran out of time
So what did you talk about?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How to divert attention and use breathing techniques and try and laugh like you have told me when these happen. As far as the staring at feet no harm is done and should I try not to stare at them?
Again absolutely no harm done and use the techniques he talked to you about
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So the neck and head always go back to same upright position?
Yes--always
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Dr Chip would it help if I stopped looking down at my feet during the day?
As I've said before you need to stop the actions the second they begin or force yourself not to do them in the first place
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When the thoughts of the heart being affected negatively occur when bending over should I just say impossible and move on ?
Absolutely and give a chuckle at the same time
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So looking over at feet either sitting or standing affects nothing and I should not worry about looking away anymore to stop the Ocd?
One last time--absolutely to affect on any part of the body and no worry there
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If you look down at feet sitting down then look up then not look down again would that harm any muscle sorry to ask? I am trying to break habit of looking down by this
Don't know how many different ways I can tell you absolutely no harm ever done by that. Lots of us, if not all of us, do things like that
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would not looking down help ?
Haven't you been able to stop yourself from doing that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Almost but it comes back
OK--we've talked about this quite a lot--what more can I add here?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
In putting this foot staring and looking up would it be best if I do not keep looking down then up four times in a row and just once and move away from that position?
If you find yourself looking at your foot, just immediately look back up and don't do it any more
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am doing that now thank you so much also if thoughts tell me to look at them just ignore them because there is no harm st all?
No harm and keep up the good work