Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have been searching for answers to an infection in my foot

Customer Question

I have been searching for answers to an infection in my foot for some time now. About a year ago I had several mesquite thorns lodge in my shoe so I pulled them out and kept on going not knowing they were poisonous and totally forgot about the incident. About a month later I had an itch on the bottom of my foot and did not associate the wound with the incident with the thorns. I treated for athlete's foot even though I have never had this problem in my life. Many health issues have since developed and the foot has mushroomed out of control with watery blisters, uncontrollable itching along with blistering on both hands. I have been to several doctors that are completely stumped. I finally spent much time in meditation and the incident of the mesquite thorns just keeps returning to me as that is the only thing it could be. Since it has been nearly a year since this happened the doctors are leery of my story. I have soaked in Epsom salts, dome burro, used peroxide, arnica gel and pellets as well as Benadryl and Benadryl cream, fluocinodid ointment and others. Is there an oral antidote for this poison? And what can I do to calm the itch and dry the blisters? Any information would be most welcome.
Mari-Ann
Arizona
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.
Hello Mari-Ann,

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

Were any blood work or culture tests done?
Are you diabetic?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No blood work was done and no culture tests and I am not diabetic.

Mari-Ann

Hello Mari-Ann,

The culture tests are the key to diagnose the issue. A bacterial culture, culture for mycobacterium and a fungal culture are necessary for the diagnosis. The culture test also gives the right therapeutic protocol, which will be able to treat the issue. You need to consult an infectious disease specialist. The mosquito bite may or may not be related, which occasionally cause viral infection or autoimmune disease (which is responsible for the blisters). A blood work for the autoimmune panel is also advised for the diagnostic clues.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I believe you misread mesquite thorns (tree) for mosquito. My question is - is there any antidote for mesquite poisoning?

Thank you,

Mari-Ann

Mari Ann,

I am extremely sorry for misreading and misunderstanding the question.

Your symptoms are suggestive of plant thorn synovitis which is a known autoimmune / inflammatory disorder. The foot blisters can be caused by it. An MRI and following blood work should be able to clinch the diagnosis;

1) ANA
2) RA factor
3) CRP
4) Anti dS DNA

You would need medications called as immune modulators. Please read about plant thorn synovitis;

http://www.medicinenet.com/plant_thorn_synovitis/article.htm

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Doctor. Women get tired of doctors telling them it's all in their head and they really don't believe us when we try to explain what happened. I am well satisfied with your answer. Now I know I'm not crazy and I know what to do to heal my entire body.

Thanking you again I remain.

Mari-Ann Alston

Arizona

You are very welcome, Mari-Ann Alston.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please feel free for your follow up queries.