Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties

are there any medicines to help swallowing

Customer Question

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ systems of body) and i will do my best to find an answer for you.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Off course there are many remedies. But what kind of medicine suits you the best depends upon the exact symptoms (and their underlying cause).

Can you tell me what symptoms you have?

Since how long?

Any treatment taken so far?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

wasting of the arms, fingers not useable, hard to swallow, three years,oxycontin,riluzol,

So the diagnosis is MND (Motor Neuron Disease) right?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

dont you read my answers i think this site is a rip off stick your 22 dollars up your arse

Dear Melaine, the questions and clarifications we ask you is because that we always want to make sure that we provide you with the most accurate and precise information.

Sorry for any inconvenience rendered to you. But let me reassure you, i have worked on your question in detail and got the most modern guidelines and remedies that can help you in this situation right now.

Thank you very much for the useful information.

Unfortunately we are still waiting for a "magic pill" by the researchers that may help cure MND and its neurological manifestations.

Although there is no curative treatment available until now, but there are number of options to help you in controlling the dysphagia (difficulty in swallowing).

The first step here is to discuss this with treating physician for a detailed evaluation of the swallowing issue you have.

Videofluoroscopic testing to assess the problems in various stages of swallowing is helpful to decide a specific course of action best suited to a particular patient.

In general following options are helpful;

1. Cricopharyngeal myotomy

2. Pharyngostomy

3. Percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG)

You can discuss these options with your doctor to chalk out further management plan that suits best to your needs.

Thank you very much for visiting us.

It was a pleasure assisting you and i hope my answer was helpful. If you feel satisfied with the response, do not forget to leave me a Positive/(4/5) Rating. Bonus is always helpful and appreciated.

If any thing remains unanswered for you, please ask; i will be glad to assist.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I asked if there was any medicines available to help my problems with swallowing, I know i am going to die, i am not getting any more tests done i just want to make my life whats left of it a bit more comfortable

No, the options to treat this are not in the form of a specific medicine.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I know there is a medicine to help, tablet form

Which one?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

your the expert

There are few drugs to control excessive salivation which creates a problem in swallowing secondarily. I am not sure if you are referring to any of these?