Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.

had radiation thx and chemotherapy x 5 weeks 2 yrs ago for

had radiation thx and chemotherapy x 5 weeks 2 yrs ago for rectal cancerwith removal of the cancer just above the el dente~ have some concerns about the PET scans more specifically the radioactive material injected that I am directed to have yearly now have had a total of 4 how does that weigh in for more exposure to rebirth more cancer? And happily they have been negative was an early T2 no nodes!don't really want to ask the radio-oncologist I see because that's his bread and butter~ 

Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Did you mean the PET scan for diagnosing cancer recurrence?
Hello Diane,

You went offline but I would like to clear off your doubts about the harmful effects of a PET scan. You have a good question here, but the radioactive material used is very minimal known as a "tracer agent" that tags a glucose molecule. This material is known as FDG. FDG has a half-life of approximately 110 minutes, so it is quickly expelled from your body. So, there are no chances of exposure to the radioactive material beyond this time and the dose of the radioactive material is just to small to have any adverse effects on your body from radiation.

So, I strongly suggest that you go ahead with the yearly PET scans which outweighs the risk of radiation from this material.

If you have any further question, I would be happy to help you.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to choose accept or to rate me excellent service ( 5 or 4 positive rating)to give credit for my answer and time.Bonuses are warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, these pet scans are for returning ca until the 5 yr mark. what about the exposure to the pet?...any radiation concerns with this? just worry about the cure aggravating any other cancerous sleeping giants??? what are your thoughts on that? ..Thanks