Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties
28277873

I have been very sick for the past 5 days. I went to the doctor

I have been very sick for the past 5 days. I went to the doctor 3 days ago and was diagnosed with an upper respiratory viral infection. I was tested for flu and strep and both came back negative. I was told I have to just let it run its course. I've been using Motrin at night to help me sleep and control the fever. The past couple of days, I've got a new symptom. My skin has become extremely sensitive. It feels like a sunburn, but there is no visable rash or discoloration. Also, when I sneeze or cough I have excrutiating pain shoot up my back, across my shoulders, and around my neck. I'm concerned because I've had chicken pox as a kid. I'm wondering if it might be shingles, or maybe it's from the infection and fever. I also have no appetite. I've tried to eat once in the past 5 days. Any help is appreciated.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ systems of body) and i will do my best to find an answer for you.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Have you noticed any rash over the body?

You have been eating and drinking less right?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is no rash. My skin looks normal. I've tried to eat once in the past 5 days. It wasn't much. I've been drinking water and orange juice. That's it.

Thank you very much.

Your symptoms classically fit in to a viral infection, which is most of the times self limiting and require only symptomatic treatment such as for pain and fever.

The pain in the muscles (is called myalgia) occurs typically in viral infections and this gets worse when you cough (muscles contract strongly during this) or perform any physical exertion. Dehydration, reduced caloric intake (dueto reduced appetite) also add to the problem.

At this point, you should have Rest.

Keep yourself adequately hydrated.

Soups.

High protein diet.

All will help.

You can also add tylenol to the treatment for better control of pain.

Co-Enzyme Q-10 supplements will also be helpful in controlling the fatigue and aches.

Most likely this is going to settle down soon.

Thank you very much for visiting us.

It was a pleasure assisting you and i hope my answer was helpful. If you feel satisfied with the response, do not forget to leave me a Positive/(4/5) Rating. Bonus is always helpful and appreciated.

If any thing remains unanswered for you, please ask; i will be glad to assist.

You will be asked to provide a satisfaction score from 1 to 10 later on for this question. A good score from you will help save my job :)

Kindest Regards.