Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Can mytral valve prolapse of two valves cause extreme weakness,

Can mytral valve prolapse of two valves cause extreme weakness, blood pressure swings,shortness of breath and urge to almost pass out over mild or very little movement at all, This has been getting progressively worse and I want a good cardiologist- last one two years ago wasn't! And how do I find a Great one because I gave other extenuating health issues.
Hi--is mitral valve prolapse the only valve problem you have and do you have any coronary artery disease? Where do you live?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know if I have coronary artery disease but I was told 7 years ago that my caroidid artery in neck was thickening and I am having chest pressure but am on heavy pay medicine 200 Fentyal patches 200mg q 2 days and diaudid 2 q 4 hrs for break through pain which I have from 15 spine surgeries along with other meds and BP medicine which lowers my BP until I am miserable but need iit or BP gets too high when I walk.

I live in Euless Texas but went to a local cardio man and was unhappy with him because he did not take the fact that I could not lie down on hard tables for scans into consideration.

OK--what at least did he say about your heart condition?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He said I have congestive heart failure and needed valve surgery again this was the GP the specialist concurred but would do nothing with scans that Doctor had done 2 days before which was stupid and expensive. Als I just fall asleep at times.

OK--so he didn't suggest you see a heart surgeon?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I went to the GP then the heart surgeon and the info I gave you was what the heart surgeon said ...but he- the heart surgeon- needed scans which I could not physically do and like I said he wanted another scan that I had had just 2 days prior and it was expensive and totally unnecessary when he could have gotten the one from the GP! He said I had congestive heart failure & mytral valve prolapse of 2 valves. Now I am exhausted all the time and even drop off to sleep at strange times just out of the blue-I have enough oxygen saturation and it is not from my narcotics because that dosage has not changed BUT I have had to decrease my deseryl dosage massively because it is affecting me more than it used to.

OK--so you'd like to have another cardiologist? How far are you from Dallas?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am about 20 minutes from Dallas Are there tests they can do without me lying on an x-ray table for heart diagnosis and what about my problems with my blood pressure swings and what are causing those to make me feel like I am going to pass out?

Well the blood pressure swings could be from your congestive heart failure but what tests exactly do they want you to have that you can't lie down on the table for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What ever tests they do on an x-ray table for heart diagnosis= don't know the name of them = I'm sorry to say==some type of scan

You couldn't be sedated so you could go through with the tests?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I doubt that they would sedate me- and anyway that would still cause problems with my spine as the rod is right against the skin and there is an open sore there already that would break through even more if they put me on a hard surface and since I am so crippled/ bad curve and rotated I don't think I could lie straight for them not even considering the pain it would cause. There has to be other ways to test a hearts function w/o out lying on an x-ray table

OK--I'm only guessing as to what tests they want to run but it sounds as though it would be a chemical stress test and a radionuclide cardiac scan and, unfortunately, those can't be done any other way then with your lying down. It sounds to me as though you need valve replacement surgery and I'm not certain you need the additional tests before you have that. As for another caridologist, I suggest getting into the Baylor School of Medicine division of cardiology. Here's a link that will show you what they can do and how to make an appointment,main
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do need valve replacement surgey will that entail then cracking open my chest?

It may--I don't know enough about your valve problem to be able to say if it can be done with minimally invasive surgery
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I so know that the blood regurgitateds/ backward instead of all forward in one valve but not sure about the other one- infection is involed I am pretty certain as I have had osteomyolitis in the past and now no longer treated for it but treated for constant infectiions with Clacamox 825 TID

OK--what more information can I give you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I guess that's about all so on your final answer you think the passing out and the blood pressure swings are from the mytral valve dysfunction?

Either from the mitral valve or perhaps from an aortic valve problem. But you have to add that to the congestive heart failure which will be corrected with valve replacement
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I didn't know the Congestive heart Failure would be corrected with the mytral valve replacement! That is GREAT news Thank YOU so very very MUCH for all your help and patience!!

My pleasure--any time. Please let me know how it goes and remember to rate my service to you