Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Hi. Two mornings ago I tried to throw a stick 2 times at a

Hi. Two mornings ago I tried to throw a stick 2 times at a crow in a tree and a few hours later felt some pain and now I have a hard time lifting my arm. No pain unless I move it but very tender anteriorly. I am a PT and wonder if I can ask my doc for a script for an MRI so I can see if there is a tear. What should I do?Thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  Robert Fernando replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

On a grade of 1 to 10 how will you rate the pain?
Have you noticed swelling/discoloration on affected shoulder/arm?
Any previous significant medical issue?
Have you tried any medications?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Doc....9/10 when I try to lift it

swelling anteriorly, no bruising

previous clavicle fx, recurrent tendonitis

ibuprofen

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information. I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.

Usually tear occurs due to- Fall down on outstretched arm or by lifting something too heavy with a jerking motion. It is possible that you may have acute tear within shoulder.
The most common symptom with such tear is- Pain during lifting and lowering your arm or with specific movements
Also people over 40 are at greater risk.
Considering your symptoms, i suggest that you should not delay and immediately get MRI done.
MRI would show where the tear is located within the tendon and the size of the tear.

Usually in 50% of patients, nonsurgical treatment works and improves function in the shoulder.
Along with rest and painkillers, Strengthening exercises and physical therapy would be helpful. In case symptoms doesn't improve, then Steroid injection may also be given.

I would suggest that you should not delay and ask your doctor for MRI. Further line of treatment would be advised accordingly.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanksdoc....Can I ask my primary for an MRI and how likely is she to order it?Thanks

Thanks for asking follow up question.

Yes, your primary doctor may order MRI, Considering your symptoms, they order it right away and you would be advised treatment accordingly. Please see your primary doctor.

If you are satisfied, place rate the advice you've received so that I receive credit for helping you.

Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, Experienced Family Physician