Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Im newly diagnosed with Hemochromatosis. I want to do my own

I'm newly diagnosed with Hemochromatosis. I want to do my own phlebotomy at home as I have other disabilities which make travel and being in offices difficult (including epilepsy from fluorescent lights). I've done my own IV's before, I'm a retired ME/EE.

I have the glass capillary tubes and supplies and built my own centrifuge for doing microhemocrit testing via finger stick before my weekly blood draw. I was pleased that hemocrit testing was so easy.

My question is about the appropriate phlebotomy equipment for a 500ml draw.

Will a 19G winged infusion set (12") be adequate? I got some sodium citrate as an anticoagulant, plan on putting some solution in my collection bottle, and could flush my vinyl tubing with it as well.

I could also plumb up an arrangement to draw a vacuum on the 1 liter collection bottle, making a sealed lid. This might speed things up and retard blood clotting. I will be laying on the sofa and filling the collection bottle on the floor.

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : it may be possible for you to have the phlebotomy procedure done at home via a home health agency or a nurse....
Anthony Bray MD : BUT IT IS NOT SAFE FOR YOU TO PERFORM THE PROCEDURE ON YOURSELF---EVER...DOCTORS HAVE LOST THEIR LISCENSE DUE TO INAPPROPRIATE SELF DONE PROCEDUR
Anthony Bray MD : S( typo sorry)
Customer:

What is the safety issue?

Anthony Bray MD : Any physician that attempted to set you up for a self procedure like that would be in malpractice territory ....the reason in part is that if you fainted during procedure it would potentially be a fatal event!!!
Anthony Bray MD : It would NEVER be advised to set up an ongoing blood draw on yourself!!
Customer:

OK, good idea to set up the equipment so that only 500ml can be drawn

Anthony Bray MD : it could be possible to have a person trained on the home but it is not sound practice to have you do this procedure on yourself....
Customer:

OK, I'll look into other options. Thanks.