Dr. Amir Javed
Dr. Amir Javed, Doctor
Experience:  Master in Internal medicine (London), MBBS, expert in health and fitness (six years experience)
16101430

I have ulcerative colitis and have been on many rounds of prednisone

I have ulcerative colitis and have been on many rounds of prednisone and immunosuppressants (6mp). My doctor suspected that, if I were to have HIV, the immunosupressants most likely would have made it turn to AIDS. Do you agree?
Thanks for the question and coming on Just Answer. I would like to say that if a person has HIV then chances of developing complications and full blown AIDS are more by suppressing immunity and that's why immunosuppressants usually weakens one immunity and therefore, person already with HIV can get many severe complications, risk of more infections, malignancy, full blown AIDS. I agree with your doctor but this is only true if someone already been diagnosed with HIV.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to click either 2 "poor service" or 1 "bad service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. My goal is excellent service which is rating 5. Rating of 4 or 5 is highly highly appreciated as this is the only way we doctors can get credit here. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Best wishes
Dr. Amir Javed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. I am going to get tested for HIV just to be sure for my new partner, but I am so scared of the results. Over the past 20 years, I've been on 6mp for about 8 of them. Would it then be fair to say, given my history of taking immunosuppressants, chances are that I do not have HIV? That I would have already have had full blown AIDS by now?

My risk factors, my doctor said, are low. I haven't used IV drugs since 1978 and was married to one man for 25 years until he passed away 4 years ago. Neither of us had affairs and he had himself tested before we met. I hadn't had sex since he died until a few months ago & this new man & I were safe and he's tested negative.

I guess, the deal is, the more sure I am that it is unlikely I have it, the calmer I will be as I wait for the results. And, like everyone else, I can't stand being stressed out (and the colitis doesn't like it either).

You welcome. Yes it is important to get tested for HIV first and I am sure that risk is very low. If your new partner already get tested negative for HIV then it is not likely but still I will highly recommend you to have HIV test. Yes chances are high that you do not have HIV because people with HIV on immunosuppressants can get serious complications. I wish you best of luck.

Best wishes
Dr. Amir Javed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr Javed,

Thank you so much for your support. Your answer confirming my doctor's answer helped me to get some sleep last night.

Early this morning, doctor called to say HIV was negative, as you said it should be, Phew!

Thanks again!

You welcome dear and I am very glad that it came back negative. I wish you best of luck and have a great time.

Kind regards
Dr. Amir Javed