Dr. Amir Javed
Dr. Amir Javed, Doctor
Experience:  Master in Internal medicine (London), MBBS, expert in health and fitness (six years experience)
16101430

My son is 29 and in usually good health. He had food poisoning

My son is 29 and in usually good health. He had food poisoning (or similar infection) about 2 months ago. After the usual symptoms including dehydration (which he needed introvenus), His symptoms were bloating, stomach pains, etc. He went to a gastro specialist who took blood tests which were all neg. He was put on Cipro and Metronidazole. After 10 days my son's stomach issues got resolved. However, new symptoms have popped up. It's been 2 weeks since he is off the meds and he has fatigue, some muscular pain (his tailbone, back) which seem to come and go. His main problem is imbalance. He is not dizzy, just feels woozy and fatique. One day his elbows seems to hurt, and other day it is his back. The last time he felt this way was several years ago when he was very depressed (anxiety too). He feels he was depressed again with this food poisoning (along with other things in his life) which may be causing all this again. At that time he took an antidepressant, which resolved his symptoms. His gastro dr seems to be unsure. He feels my son may still have the parasite. Our thoughts are 1. why are the new symptoms now emerging? and 2. can this all be from depression? Should he go back on the antibiotics through his gastro dr or see a neurologist? Or any other suggestions?
Thanks for the question and coming on Just Answer. I would like to say that these are very atypical symptoms really as I have seen rarely after food poisoning. I will answer your questions one by one now. It is very difficult to comment why these new symptoms are emerging but important to investigate few important possibilities such as Inflammatory bowel disease (extraintestinal manifestations of IBD), side effect of ciprofloxacin which can give such as muscular aches and fatigue as a side effect (can get better once stopped but can take few days to few weeks to get better from the side effects), persistent infection, depression or mood affective disorder, autoimmune disorders. Yes there is a possibility that this can be due to depression especially with significantly positive history of depression in the past. I will suggest to discuss first with his Gastro doctor about parasitic infection or inflammatory bowel disease, if he cleared him from these in that case he should see specialist in internal medicine for evaluation and some tests such as RA factor, serum uric acid level, ESR, c-reactive protein & others like that.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to click either 2 "poor service" or 1 "bad service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. My goal is excellent service which is rating 5. Rating of 4 or 5 is highly highly appreciated as this is the only way we doctors can get credit here. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Best wishes
Dr. Amir Javed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He doesn't have symptoms such as inflammation, swelling, tenderness, bleeding of any kind. I read about these conditions and his symptoms don't match well enough. This pretty much rules out most of the things you mentioned. We are wondering if the parasite can still be causing these new symptoms even though the stomach issue is resolved? or 2. can the antibiotics be the cause a week or two after finishing? thank you

Yes ciprofloxacin can give these side effects and these side effects can take about few days to few weeks in order to get better. There is no use of starting new antibiotics. Yes parasitic infection can give some of these atypical symptoms & need to first identify the parasite and your gastro doctor should able to do that and in case if he will not able to find that then as I mentioned he should be seen by specialist in Internal medicine for further evaluation and tests. Depression should be seriously consider at that stage and possibly treatment after investigating all others as mentioned.

Best wishes

Dr. Amir Javed.