Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

my pelvic ultrasound done because I have had intermittent bleeding

my pelvic ultrasound done because I have had intermittent bleeding between periods for a while, states Borderline enlarged uterus, thickened endometrium, monographically normal ovaries. incidental 1.5 follicular cyst in the left ovary.

Also says the endometrium is thickened and appears heterogeneous measuring apox 21mm.

I have four kids and am a nervous wreck.

As per your reports,i explain you in detail-

Borderline enlarged uterus can be caused due to multiple pregnancy.

Incidential 1.5 follicular cyst-it is not a significant finding.

Most of the follicular cysts are benign and resolve by their own in few cycles.

Sometimes on your repeat scan after completion of this menstrual cycle ,it may disappear.

Now main concern is endometrium thickening.

21 mm is high and indicates Endometrial hyperplasia.

Endometrial hyperplasia is often related to a imbalance between the two female hormones, oestrogen and progesterone.

Now as your doctor has scheduled biopsy so your doctor wants to confirm the types of endometrial hyperplasia-
Hyperplasia without atypical changes
Hyperplasia with atypical changes
Atypical changes mean that the cells have changed and become abnormal and this is associated with a higher risk of womb cancer.

There are many things that can cause abnormal bleeding like =fibroid,polpy,stress, hormonal imbalance, abrupt weight change, infection, medicines, thyroid problems.

I can understand why you are scared, but it's best to find out if anything is wrong. Uterine cancer usually presents with abnormal bleeding, nearly all early uterine cancers can be cured it is best to rule it out with the additional testing.

So consult your doctor for a clinical corelation of your investigations findings with your current conditions.

I hope this helps.
Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.
If you have any further query then feel free to ask.
Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

In your opinion is the biopsy the right test or should I be having a d and c?

Thanks for the follow-up.

Yes,you need to undergo biopsy at this stage to determine the exact underlying cause.

The biopsy is done in the office and will cause some cramping, but is fairly simple and non-invasive.

I suggest you to consult your gynecologist for further evaluation and management.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.