Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

I have an intermittent grabbing pain in the upper back, both sides just under the shoulder

I have an intermittent grabbing pain in the upper back, both sides just under the shoulder blades, it occurs in short bursts and only lasts for fractional seconds, certain movements trigger the pain and further movement will stop the spasm.

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. Since how long you have this problem? Do you feel any pain in your spine? Have you had cough? Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have had this type pain shortly after the fever sick spell about 4 days ago. No I do not have a cough. I experienced a plugged kitchen sink and in trying to open the drain I was drenched with drain water when I opened a clean out plug which had about a 8 ft head of pressure on it. I became ill shortly after this incident. May not be relative but let you know anyhow. What do you think.

Jack thanks a lot for your input. I am so sorry to hear about this illness because i understand that how uncomfortable feeling this can be. As per description of your symptoms the problem seems to be muscular. Such muscular pains are not uncommon after fever or they just might not be related to fever but one thing is for sure that it is muscular because the relation of position with pain is seen in muscular problems. I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations OTC tab Aleve thrice daily really helps. You should take it for five to seven days. If possible massage of OTC Voltaren gel twice daily will be helpful too. If symptoms persist, see your doctor but it will not be required hopefully. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more and I will be glad to assist you. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated, regards.