Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have a sharp pulsing pain in my right arm between my elbow

I have a sharp pulsing pain in my right arm between my elbow and wrist; but closer to my elbow on the inside of my arm. I've gotten the same pain in my left arm as well; but lately it's in my right arm and I'm getting the pain more frequently (ie. 2 or 3 times a week). It happens mostly when I'm at the computer typing.

DR HASAN :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I need few details.

DR HASAN :

Do you feel any tingling and numbness in arm or hand?

Customer:

No tingling or numbness

DR HASAN :

The pain feels like an electric current?

Customer:

YES!! Very sharp and pulses with my heart beat. I usually have to rub the spot hard to get rid of the pain.

DR HASAN :

What you have tried so far?

Customer:

Just rubbing the spot. The pain only lasts for a few seconds and then goes away; so I haven't found any need to take pain killers.

DR HASAN :

Thanks a lot for your input.

DR HASAN :

I am so sorry to hear about your problem.

DR HASAN :

The nature of pain indicates that the nerve at the elbow is being compressed.

DR HASAN :

I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations OTC tab aleve thrice daily really helps. It's not just for pain but it helps to reduce the compression to some extent.

Customer:

Could the compression come from the fact that I rest my arms on my elbow as I'm typing on my Laptop? My computer sits up on a platform and so I tend to rest my elbows about 2 to 3 inches below the computer as I'm typing.

DR HASAN :

Moreover you need to avoid that specific position which causes this pain because that is the position where nerve gets compressed.

DR HASAN :

Yes it can be but ideally one should not get such pain in such position normally.

DR HASAN :

So there can be some problem in your elbow which needs investigations to be addressed.

DR HASAN :

You should also visit doctor to get xray of the elbow done and later you may need physical therapy.

DR HASAN :

If that fails further treatment like steroid injection can be given but first we need to know that cause.

DR HASAN :

But for sure nothing is serious.

DR HASAN :

I hope aleve will help you.

DR HASAN :

Any question?

Customer:

Good to know! Thank you so much.

HI Sharon, how are you feeling now?