Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

Customer Question

I have a split amorphus tear of the PCL at the distal end, as well as what is being described as a degenerative tear, which I doubt because I fell on it, of the horn of my medial meniscus. It has been 19 weeks since the injury and I still have another week to wait before arthroscopic surgery is to be performed. I fell, after tripping, hard on my left knee, which is believed to be the cause of the injuries described. I would like to know what I can expect, in the form of surgical repair, if I proceed with the arthroscopic surgery. My surgeon has not been as forthcoming as I would have liked him to be, and, I guess I am at fault for not pressing for more specific, detailed information, which I hope to remedy tomorrow. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect, and help me decide if I should go with general anesthesia or if I should opt for the spinal block option instead? I understand medical terminology and physiology. I had a complete tearing of my right ACL and it's removal in 1988, and have taken great pains to understand the working and construction of the knee. Thanks in advance for any assistance/guidance you can provide.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--is this a partial tear of the PCL?