Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

I am 57 years old. I have quite an extended labia majora, which

I am 57 years old. I have quite an extended labia majora, which has been the case for about 13 years. In 1999 I had a total hysterectomy, which caused some prolapse, for which I've had a couple of surgeries to repair, and it is since the prolapse repair surgeries that I've had this extended labia majora (both sides). For the past couple of weeks I can't seem to get "comfortable" in any underwear. Things feel like they're being chafed, and I'm wondering if my labia majora is getting more sensitive. I'm in a monogamous sexual relationship and have never had herpes or any other STD.

Dr. Owen : Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Dr. Owen : hello
Dr. Owen : what medications or creams have you used?
Customer:

None

Dr. Owen :

okay what this probably is due to is Atrophy

Dr. Owen :

and you can try to use a cream such as Estrace twice per week and since you have had a hysterectomy this is safe for you to use, Plus estrogen ALONE (meaning you do NOT need progesterone) does not increase the risk of a breast cancer

Dr. Owen :

The Estrace is a prescription

Dr. Owen :

Another type of estrogen is called Vagifem vaginal suppositories and this is also an estrogen too

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Customer:

I know I don't have atrophy. I've been taking a bio-identical estrogen formula for years. I have an active sex life. I repeat, there is no atrophy.

Dr. Owen :

okay, have you had this biopsied or cultured.

Customer:

no. I don't have med insurance nor do I have a local doctor.

Dr. Owen :

I see

Dr. Owen :

Are you seeing a doctor for the bio-identical estrogen?

Dr. Owen :

Also, please realize I can only go by what you say, as I can not do an exam, and I understand there is no atrophy.

Customer:

I do. She is an MD and a naturopath.

Customer:

I understand

Dr. Owen :

I've never heard of a MD and naturopath - that is interesting - usually a naturopath is a ND -

Dr. Owen :

Anyway

Dr. Owen :

are you itching?

Customer:

no

Dr. Owen :

and the bioidentical estrogen - how are you using these - are they creams, pills, or patches?

Customer:

sublingual drops. E1 at 0.0612 mg, E2 at 0.2 and E3 at 2 mg, I think.

Dr. Owen :

okay I understand.

Dr. Owen :

And, when you say chafing - is there irritation/ redness?

Dr. Owen :

Do you feel warmth to the area too, besides just sensitivity

Customer:

I don't know. It's just a feeling that is always there, especially when I walk. I thought at first I needed to get new underwear, that they might be wearing out. So after throwing out 3 pairs, I found that all my underwear, even new ones, are doing it. So I'm thinking it's not the underwear at all, but me.

Dr. Owen :

okay =

Dr. Owen :

Well if not due to atrophy / dryness

Dr. Owen :

There are many other types of problems that can occur such as a contact dermatitis, a possible Lichen sclerosis, Lichen planus or even a dysplasia (a precancerous condition) or even an infection.

Customer:

Dryness, maybe. I've been using a gel for years during sex, since the hysterectomy. Never a problem before that. And dryness was never a problem for me during non-sex times, like just walking. Like I said, I do have extended (very long) labia.

Customer:

There is no odor.

Dr. Owen :

So, what is important is to get this examined - mainly with a culture and then a small biopsy

Customer:

okay.

Customer:

I wonder if the county public health dept would be the place to have that done.

Dr. Owen :

no, I'm not talking about dryness in the vagina - but on the outside (the labia)

Dr. Owen :

Well there are many 'free' women's health clinics around the country - and many ob/gyn's around the country donate our time helping people - so you can ask

Customer:

okay

Dr. Owen :

and you CAN try to use at least hydrocortisone cream in this area until you can get this seen and evaluated in person

Customer:

thanks. I don't know of a free women's health clinic close by. I'm calling the local county health department.

Dr. Owen :

the health department might know

Customer:

I'm leery of using a hydrocortisone cream in that area, for now, or at least until I have it looked at.

Dr. Owen :

And, in the future, you can also try to find an ob/gyn here

Customer:

you mean at JustAnswer.com?

Dr. Owen :

no here at the American Congress of Ob/Gyn -

Customer:

oh. thank you.

Dr. Owen :

you are very welcome

Dr. Owen :

I wish you well

Customer:

you too!

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT if you have no more questions - thank yo u

Dr. Owen :

have a wonderful evening

Dr. Owen :

do you have any other questions?

Dr. Owen :

Hi - Are you there?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I wanted to let you know that I figured out this problem. I am in a fairly new relationship. After more than two years of dating with abstinence we started having sex last August, and not very often (once or twice a month). Recently we had sex twice in a week. I believe it changed the pH in my vagina so much that it caused the start of a yeast infection. It's rare that I get those, and when I start to feel weird, I use a capsule filled with boric acid as a suppository. I tried that the other night and it worked. I thus canceled my appointment.

Wonderful news and yes boric acid helps usually for BV - bacteria vaginosis too
Thank you