Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Im 66 yrs, woman, 52", 118 lb, good health, have osteoporosis,

Customer Question

I'm 66 yrs, woman, 5'2", 118 lb, good health, have osteoporosis, bad arthritic hands, active & like to walk. In Jan. while walking I slipped on ice & fell hitting my knee on a rock with full body weight. Very painful, but after 10 min I could walk OK. Now I have some pain when I climb stairs & kneel. I also feel it when I walk, but it's mild. I did notice that where the pain is on my knee cap there is a "floater". Could this be a bone chip and should I have it looked at or x-ray'd? Best, Joetta
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome, Joetta.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long. I was offline. I apologize for the delay and for your waiting.

The "floater" you feel is likely to be a fibrofatty nodule. These can be formed after injury, when a small soft tissue breaks down and body's healing process encapsulates it. This can occasionally be painful or tender. There is no harm in getting a x-ray just for the cautionary reason and to look at the overall changes in the knee joint and knee cap. You may consider iontophoresis and phonophoresis as a treatment (which is done at physical therapy centers). Following would help you overall (osteoporosis, arthritis of hand and if present in knee);

1) Physical therapy; this is the mainstay of the management. Stretching exercises, strengthening exercises, mild weight bearing exercises, swimming on the week-ends etc would be helpful.

2) Deep electrotherapy; this entails going to physical therapy center and take care of specific issues which are more painful.

3) Glucosamine and chondroitin supplements

4) Diacerin too can be tried which suppose to regenerate the cartilage.

5) Local analgesic sprays

6) Acupuncture

7) Consideration of hyaluronic acid injection in the joints which are more painful. Some physician may inject steroid too for the pain relief.

8) Warm shower in morning would open up the joints.

9) Capsaicin (Zostrix, ArthriCare) is an irritant derived from chili peppers that provide relief by depleting a chemical that transmits pain from nerve endings. Various strengths are available without prescription. (It causes a burning sensation thus one has to be careful while applying and should wear a disposable plastic glove).

10) Acupuncture; most popular forms of alternative or complementary medicine, particularly for pain relief.

11) Analgesic patches too are available for the pain relief.

If overweight is an issue; long term is achieved by weight reduction. High impact exercises should be avoided; like kneeling and bending.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.