Karel1
Karel1, Certified Respiratory Therapist
Experience:  Have suffered with Narcolepsy a sleeping disorder over 30 years,specializes in asthma ,COPD
24118

Is it possible to get a lung infection or pneumonia from breathing

Customer Question

Is it possible to get a lung infection or pneumonia from breathing in cat litter? The night before last I cleaned out the litter and for the next few hours I was having some chest pain and tightness, and my throat was getting sore. I felt better by the time I went to bed and woke up without any chest pain or issues. Then I went to class and after walking around a bit I developed the issues again, which sort of came and went throughout the evening and were much better when I went to bed. I just woke up and my chest hurts, I'm getting pains under my arms and it's hard for me to breathe deeply, and my throat is a little sore.
Category: Health
Expert:  Karel1 replied 1 year ago.
It could irritate your lungs, however if you are having pain when you breathe in, you could have a cold coming on, or some respiratory infection but now from the cat litter. If the breathing trouble persist I would go to my doctor , and have him check you out. If there is asthma in your family, then you could be getting asthma, but it sounds to me like your either coming down with a cold, or the cat litter irritated you . You may even have allergies, its hard to say, but just inhaling liter once wont do that to you what you are describing. Any shortness of breathe that persists should be looked into.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, thank you. So there is probably nothing to worry about? No diseases such as parasites or infections I could get from inhaling the litter?

Expert:  Karel1 replied 1 year ago.

No none you should be fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am still concerned about this because the shortness of breath and chest tightness is persisting. It's not severe but I am having some pains in my back and underarms when breathing in. I do have anxiety disorder but I never have breathing issues as a physical symptom. Could I still just be irritated from the cat litter even though it's a little worse today? Will it go away?

Expert:  Karel1 replied 1 year ago.
Im sure you will be fin, if it persists for days on end, you should see an md.