Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM
2598649

I sprouted chickpeas and noticed some slime and a funny odor,

I sprouted chickpeas and noticed some slime and a funny odor, but made falafel with them anyway. Now I am nervous about boutilism. Also, I cut myself pretty badly will trying to detach the blade from my immersion blender, which was covered with the food. This was all bout four hours ago. what should I do? any precautionary measures I can take to prevent possible illness?

As such since you have already deep fried the dish chances of infections are less likely.

Usually the infection mostly occurs in cases of uncooked dishes.

So the chances of infection ae less.

Now secondly if the bleeding has stopped you should wash your wound with soap and water,apply OTC Neosporin/Polysporin antibiotic ointment and cover it with anti septic sterile gauze and bandage.

If the bleeding is persistent and the wound is deep you should visit at ER and they may want to apply a stitch.

Even your tetanus toxoid shot should be updated if you hadn't received since last 5 years.

You can take OTC Advil if you have pain.

Hope this helps.
Please rate me high if you are satisfied with our conversation.
In case you have further query press reply to expert button.
Bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did not deep fry the dish, baked it at 375 for 30 minutes. Is there still need for concern in terms of food or wound borne boutilism? Anything I can watch out for our preventatively do to prevent its potential onset? I'm very nervous about this

Thanks for the follow-up.

As 375 degree C is enough to kill the bacteria and the botulinum toxin is destroyed by high temperatures.

So chances of foodborne infection are very less.

Regarding prevention of wound borne infection,it is advised to take first aid like wash your wound with soap and water,apply antibiotic neosporin ointment on it and cover it with a sterile gauze and bandage.

Take OTC Advil.

Tetanus toxoid shot should be updated.

I want to assure that you are safe and you shouldn't worry.

If you are still nervous then you should consult your doctor and if required antibiotics can be given if infection is suspected.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.

Hope you are doing well.
If you would like any additional information or have more questions regarding your health problem please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to rate me high(Excellent service) and accept my answer if you are satisfied.

Thanks.