Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

Customer Question

no nurses doctors only
i came home and forgot to wash my hands so my unwashed hands touched my bread , i ate it
so should i be worried about being exposed to hipatitis b,c
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 3 years ago.

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : NO!!! Hepatitis B or C is NOT transmitted by food! These are blood borne pathogens that require intimate contact or contact with blood or exposure of your blood stream to body fluids.
Anthony Bray MD : Not washing your hands before eating a sandwich provides zero risk of Hep B or Hep c!!
Anthony Bray MD : Now hepatitis A can be food borne. Usually this occurs in brief local epidemics and you hear about it on the local news. This is transmitted when an infected person handles other people's food. So actually even in this instance washing your hands would not protect you from this pathogen. Try not to worry about this one either though. As I said there are occasional outbreaks and these are usually notified on the local news. You may also call your county health department to ask if there has been any activity of this pathogen in your area.
Anthony Bray MD : i hope that this information helps! Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!
Anthony Bray MD : If
Anthony Bray MD : If my answe has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated! Thank you and best regards!
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
JACUSTOMER-28h1grgo- :

so if i eat a salad and there is contaminated drop of blood there i will not be exposed?

Anthony Bray MD : No--- not that this is likely to happen but you don't catch hepatitis B orC orally--- the body has a set of defenses from mouth to stomach that destroys these viruses
JACUSTOMER-28h1grgo- :

can you get hipatitis b,c from cockroach