Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I am an auto mechanic. When I work under a car doing physical

Customer Question

I am an auto mechanic. When I work under a car doing physical work on my back with the car above me I start to get nauseous. when I get Up Im dizzy. But if I dont get up I will start to vomit. never really feel sick it just comes on all of a sudden and takes about an hour to go away. does not happen in bed at night. I can sleep on my back all night if i want to without any issues.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Customer:

hello

Anthony Bray MD :

I would consult your doctor further about this symptom >> I do have a theory as to what might be causing this >> If you have bad irritation of the back side of the esophagus then this laying under the car may allow irritating stomach acid to hit this area.....

Anthony Bray MD :

The irritation may cause nause which would make you light heaaded (Nausea causes a vagal response which drops your blood pressure)

Anthony Bray MD :

Is this more likley to happen after lunch or after you have eaten??

Customer:

happens with an empty stom

Anthony Bray MD :

If you do have erosive esophagitis causing this problem then you would need to dollow up with your doctor with this....

Customer:

I am a male 49 yers old

Anthony Bray MD :

I see>>> still I think this may be the mechanism that may be getting you into trouble with these positional symptoms...

Anthony Bray MD :

You may geadually benefit from a strong acid reducing med for a few months (Nexium, Protonix, Aciphex, Dexilant )

Anthony Bray MD :

There is also over the counter Prevacid and Prilosec but I would prefer that you see your doctor of course....

Customer:

I dont have med coverage

Anthony Bray MD :

This is a theory and other possibilities exist...

Anthony Bray MD :

Well you could try the over the counter Prilosec and wathc irritants of your diet for 3 months >>>

Customer:

what are they

Anthony Bray MD :

Avoid coffee and alcohol...

Customer:

coffee junkie dont drink booze

Anthony Bray MD :

Avoid hot spicy and acidic foods >> onions, tomatoes, peppers and citurus fruits (good for you nutrionally but time to take a break!)

Customer:

but it happends when i dont drink coffee or eat anything at all

Anthony Bray MD :

Avoid anti- inflammatory meds such as Aleve, Advil, aspirin but Tylenol is OK...

Customer:

its just when i work with my hands above me

Customer:

lifting my body to reach for things

Anthony Bray MD :

Even empty stomach has acid present.. This is just a theory as well >>> I can't examine you of prescribe or follow up on a trial of treatment...

Anthony Bray MD :

That makes me less sure that the esophagitis is your mechanism but it seems odd.. does it hurt to reach??

Customer:

not at all but my arms get very tired and my fingers also

Anthony Bray MD :

Well the tired part sounds normal....

Customer:

have to shske them out

Anthony Bray MD :

No chest pain , right??

Customer:

not at all

Customer:

once i get up im just dizzy for a while

Anthony Bray MD :

Well I suppose that you could try the GI treatment that I described>> IF YOUR PROBLEM IS DUE TO ESOPHAGITIS >> then it may help within a couple to three weeks or so...

Anthony Bray MD :

Well getting up from lying down and feeling dizzy is common...

Anthony Bray MD :

That may just be your blood pressure needing to adjust to your change in position...

Customer:

ok thank you I will try that

Anthony Bray MD :

It is the nausea while laying down and reaching at the same time that seems a bit odd...

Anthony Bray MD :

It may be that somehow this configuration encourages reflux of stomach acid up into the lower part of your espohagus...

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope this will help you!!

Anthony Bray MD :

Good luck! I hope that my answer has been of help to you. Please remember to leave positive feedback. That owuld be very much appreciated! Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Customer:

do you think maybe there is a problem with my stom that thing that soppose to close

Anthony Bray MD :

It could be related to a problem such as a hiatal hernia....

Anthony Bray MD :

It could be a past of the stomach that is sensitive...

Customer:

ok thank you for your time

Anthony Bray MD :

The same treatment strategy should help if it is one of these....

Anthony Bray MD :

You are very welcome!!

Customer:

ok

Anthony Bray MD :

Take Care! I hope this helps!!

Customer:

thank you again

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank You you were very helpful Paul

Hello!

I am glad to hear back from you! Thank you for the positive feedback. I'm happy to be able to help. Take Care and feel welcome to get back in touch in the future!

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD