Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I am a 55 year old type 1 diabetic with chronic and increasing

Customer Question

I am a 55 year old type 1 diabetic with chronic and increasing low bak pain. I realize age is the main factor, but at times it gets to be very difficult to deal with. No pain down the legs. anything I can do when the severe pain hits? About 1 time a week or so??
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I am sorry to hear about this, what have you tried for the pain so far?

Dr Brims :

Can you see my replies?

Customer :

I replied yesterday. Tried PT and Ibuprofen and a "medrol?" dose pack. that's about it.

Dr Brims :

Hpw long did you try these for?

Customer :

PT was for about 6 weeks. Ibuprofen all the time. the dose pack was about one year ago.

Dr Brims :

May I ask what dose of ibuprofen?

Customer :

You can ask, but my answer may not be the greatest. I think it generally is about 800 mg if that sounds right

Dr Brims :

Any idea how many pills of the ibuprofen you take at a time and how often? Also, was it prescribed or OTC?

Customer :

OTC. usually 4. Try not to overdo it as I want to keep my liver and surrounding organs, if possible. Just when it really bothers me, which is often when I go to bed. May just be the consequenses of life.

Dr Brims :

Does it help? Also, any other medical conditions you take medication for?

Customer :

Some. I take insulin for my diabetes (pump) and prozac for depression. I also take a statin.

Dr Brims :

Have you ever tried neurontin or tramadol?

Customer :

No.

Dr Brims :

Okay ,tramadol is a non addictive pain medication, and it won't affect your kidneys , I would recommend you ask your doctor to try that first. Neurontin works well for nerve related pain, but sometimes it helps relieve muscular pain as well (has a synergistic effect with other pain medication), so it is a good option, it works well in diabetics

Customer :

Ok. I will ask about these. I appreciate your time. Thanks.

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Dr Brims :

If you have questions in the future you may start them with "Dr Brims" and I will answer

Dr Brims :

Please remember to click a rating button prior to exiting the chat session

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Were you able to see my replies in the chat session?