Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I am a 55 year old type 1 diabetic with chronic and increasing

Customer Question

I am a 55 year old type 1 diabetic with chronic and increasing low bak pain. I realize age is the main factor, but at times it gets to be very difficult to deal with. No pain down the legs. anything I can do when the severe pain hits? About 1 time a week or so??
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 3 years ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I am sorry to hear about this, what have you tried for the pain so far?

Dr Brims :

Can you see my replies?

JACUSTOMER-paql4302- :

I replied yesterday. Tried PT and Ibuprofen and a "medrol?" dose pack. that's about it.

Dr Brims :

Hpw long did you try these for?

JACUSTOMER-paql4302- :

PT was for about 6 weeks. Ibuprofen all the time. the dose pack was about one year ago.

Dr Brims :

May I ask what dose of ibuprofen?

JACUSTOMER-paql4302- :

You can ask, but my answer may not be the greatest. I think it generally is about 800 mg if that sounds right

Dr Brims :

Any idea how many pills of the ibuprofen you take at a time and how often? Also, was it prescribed or OTC?

JACUSTOMER-paql4302- :

OTC. usually 4. Try not to overdo it as I want to keep my liver and surrounding organs, if possible. Just when it really bothers me, which is often when I go to bed. May just be the consequenses of life.

Dr Brims :

Does it help? Also, any other medical conditions you take medication for?

JACUSTOMER-paql4302- :

Some. I take insulin for my diabetes (pump) and prozac for depression. I also take a statin.

Dr Brims :

Have you ever tried neurontin or tramadol?

JACUSTOMER-paql4302- :

No.

Dr Brims :

Okay ,tramadol is a non addictive pain medication, and it won't affect your kidneys , I would recommend you ask your doctor to try that first. Neurontin works well for nerve related pain, but sometimes it helps relieve muscular pain as well (has a synergistic effect with other pain medication), so it is a good option, it works well in diabetics

JACUSTOMER-paql4302- :

Ok. I will ask about these. I appreciate your time. Thanks.

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Dr Brims :

If you have questions in the future you may start them with "Dr Brims" and I will answer

Dr Brims :

Please remember to click a rating button prior to exiting the chat session

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 3 years ago.
Were you able to see my replies in the chat session?