Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.

A couple of years ago I quit taking Actonel, before that I took Fosoxm

A couple of years ago I quit taking Actonel, before that I took Fosoxmax, the side effects were terrible, had to quit daily five mile walk because of loss of balance, dizzy spells so bad that whil driving I had to get off the road. I saw no difference with the before and after Bone Density tests. I quit all those pills and decided I would eat more cheese drink more milk and so on rather than continue to take these pills that were not doing anything. After about two years, sure I have sore knees, have trouble getting up from kneeling position, but I don't have any weird
side effects either. My Dr. now wants me to take Risedronate and I don't want to, this one closely resembles Actonel. I have been reading about the SAVE OUR BONES PROGRAM they say that
one can reverse the osteo naturally, I really don't like BIG PHARMA they are only looking at their botXXXXX XXXXXne and don't care about who they
hurt or kill in the process. My botXXXXX XXXXXne is this I need to not take anymore pills for bone l
Category: Health
Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.

medtech254 :

What medical conditions do you have. Are you taking any medications now? What exactly is your question?

Customer:

What else is available instead of Actonel, Fosomax or Risedonate, I have had

Customer:

I am having trouble formulating my question, many things one must know so

Customer:

one can answer properly. I am a 72 year old female with type 2 diabetes, having a lot of trouble taking certain meds such as Actonel etc. this pill has caused a loss of balance so severe that I had to quit taking walks, it has also caused dizzyness and loss of control. Naturally my Dr. took me off that pill. A new Dr. wants me to take Risedonate which is just another version of Actonel and Fosamax, I will not take this even though my bones are apparently thinning and something needs to be done. Croix faire. The second is Tamoxifen, recently had a mastectomy and was very lucky in not needing Chemo or Radiation, just Temoxifen it has caused many Charlie horses but I think I am getting the upper hand with this one just by taking it at night rather than morning and drinking 12 ozs of warm milk or water before bedtime. I am not on any meds for the diabetes yet but that is coming as well. I guess my question is what else is available for thinning bones other than the obvious ones that I have already tried.

Customer:

Problem with credit card # XXXXX have to check this out with the bank asap will get back to you. Is that why I didn't get an answer?? I hadn't really formulated a proper question.

Customer:

Where do I find your answer????? I haven't seen it yet.

Customer:

The 18.00 has been charged to my TD Visa but I have yet to find your answer, where is it??????

Customer:

If I don't have an answer soon or your reply I will request a refund.

Customer:

I still can't find your answer, where is it??????????????????????????

Customer:

This is totally unfair, got charged $18.00 for nothing, I was supposed to get an answer that is why I rated as bad service.

Customer:

There was no problem with my credit card, you got your money but I didn't get an answer.

medtech254 :

I'm sorry for the delay. I just got back in from out of state and got an e-mail from the system. Give me a moment to review your reply and respond. Keep in mind that when you pay the money goes to just answer not the expert until you rate good service or better and then only a small percentage is given to the expert.

medtech254 :

If I am understanding your request correctly you are looking for an alternative to the medication in order to avoid the side effects. Unfortunately all of the medications that could be used can have serious side effects just as you have found out. I will give you some natural methods that you should find helpful. I'm sure some of these you are already doing.

medtech254 :

The best way to treat and prevent osteoporosis is to get adequate amounts of calcium along with magnesium, trace minerals, vitamins D3 and vitamin K2 in your diet.

medtech254 :

Osteoporosis is not only due to insufficient daily calcium but rather because we do not get sufficient amounts of bone building nutrients in our diet.

medtech254 :

You should consume 1200mg of calcium a day given your age. To help your body absorb calcium It is also important to get enough vitamin D.

medtech254 :

Magnesium and calcium work together to keep calcium in your bones and out of your soft tissues. It is always best to get minerals from your diet by eating legumes, and vegetables. Mainly dark green leafy vegetables.

medtech254 :

Vitamin K is also very important in maintaining healthy bones (K2).

medtech254 :

Plenty of exercise will also helps to slow bone loss, improves muscle strength, and helps limit bone-damaging falls.

medtech254 :

One over the counter traeatment that has been shown to be very effective in clinical trials that you are probably not aware of is strontium. This has few side effects and in the studies was more effective than prescription medications. Here is a link with additional information and some great guidlines for vitamin intake: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/complementary-medicine/200807/osteoporosis-natural-help-strong-bones-0

medtech254 :

I hope you have found this information useful. If you are satisfied please rate good service or better. If you need additional information I would be happy to assist.

Customer:

This is what I was looking for, an alternitive to taking what I had already tried.

Customer:

What is Strontium

Customer:

and what does it do?

medtech254 :

Strontium is a chemical that occurs in nature and is usually found in naturally formed minerals. We consume strontium every day although the percentage absorbed decreases with age. In Europe you can get a prescription for strontium ranelate to treat and actually reverse your osteoporosis. Strontium ranelate is well tolerated although there are some minor side effects like gastric upset.

medtech254 :

You can also get the strontium as a citrate which has less gastric problems associated with it.

medtech254 :

The studies completed show that 680 mg/day dose offered the best combination of efficacy and safety. This showed a 14% bone density increase which is much higher than medications that showed a 5% increase with numerous side effects.

medtech254 :

This is something you will want to discuss with your doctor although depending on your doctors attitude toward alternatives he may not acknowledge the benefits. This is not being pursued in the US by the drug companies likely due to the fact that there is no money to be made on this type of supplementation.

medtech254 :

Where it is approved in Europe it is being called a breakthrough substance and has been shown to be very effective.

medtech254 :

This is not available even my prescription in the US so it has to be obtained by a Canadian or European pharmacy. Some are:

medtech254 :

http://www.canadadrugs.com/prescription/product/Protelos%202gm/12801/

medtech254 :

http://www.easterndrugs.com/Osteoporosis/Protelos_545.html

medtech254 :

Those links are for the actual prescription drug used overseas.

medtech254 :

You can buy the citrate salt that is almost as effective as the ranelate in the US from numerous sources including:

medtech254 :

http://www.rockwellnutrition.co m/Strontium-227-mg-Capsules-by-Pure-Encapsulations.html?origin=pla&unique_id=Strontium90vcaps&utm_source=googepla&utm_medium=adwords&GA_ID=41507702781&gdftrk=gdfV23800_a_7c2257_a_7c9716_a_7c2938&gclid=CLqmm5-WsLYCFe5AMgodBEkAUw

medtech254 :

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=strontium+citrate&_sacat=0&_from=R40

medtech254 :

and many others.

Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.
Were you able to see my reply?
Chris C., Nurse
Experience: Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.