Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

I do suffer from OCD and today I am making a habit to get better.

I do suffer from OCD and today I am making a habit to get better. I am beginning CBT therapy next week and in the mean time I am trying to get over the issue of hyperfocusing on my feet which began a week ago. I know this sounds crazy but it seems that when I look down at my feet then look away it seems as though I completed the motion wrong and I need some clarification that this is normal movement and I should not worry about not having to check my feet.

Customer:

Hello again! As we talked about before this is perfectly normal and you cannot harm any body part by looking at your feet or bending over. This is just your anxiety.

Customer :

hello I know I just need to tell myself that by looking up from after looking down at my feet is ok

Customer:

Yes that is correct.

Customer:

Try to keep focused on other tasks which should help.

Customer:

Did you get my advice last night on the other page?

Customer :

So there is no need to constantly keep checking the feet? Yes thank you I did

Customer:

That is correct. There is no need to constantly check your feet. This is part of the disroder and not normal.

Customer :

What would be your best advice if I find myself staring at my feet looking down should I immediately look up and move away from standing in one place?

Customer:

This is what I would suggest. If you are moving you will not be lifting your feet or bending over to look at them. Your mind will be focused on walking and where you are going instead of focusing on the feet.

Customer :

I will do that thank you so much

Customer:

Good luck to you! If you have any other questions you know where to find me: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-c-coleman/

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was able to stop hyperfocusing however now I am trying to resist the urge to keep looking down at times when I am standing or sitting to look down briefly at my feet four times in a row. Also my phobia of walking by the microwave and looking at the clock then moving away makes me think something will go wrong with my heart is that just false anxiety again?

You will not harm your heart by looking at the microwave or walking by it. It is not physically possible to harm the heart in this way. Also you must try to focus on something besides looking at your feet as we have discussed before. You know that that no harm will come if you do not look at your feet. You need to only look at the when you are cleaning them or dressing to avoid starting this cycle.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much so even the final glance before I walk down the stairs away from the microwave clock is safe as well?

Yes there is no "connection" between you and the microwave. So when you walk away from the microwave clock nothing will happen to you in any way. This is just your anxiety related to your OCD.
Were you able to stop hyperfocusing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am worried the blood pressure cuff from the automatic blood pressure machine affected my pulse or heart rhythm negatively. Can the cuff harm the heart at all or is it just anxiety?

The blood pressure cuff puts pressure on the arm for just a few seconds and will not harm your heart in any way including the rhythm or pulse rate. This is just anxiety kevin.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello I went for a walk a little while ago. As I was walking I noticed a post of some kind with a square top next to a picnic bench. Unfortunately I started to stare at it and to break the stare I started to move away but I kept turning my head to the right to see it until it went out of my view. My heart was beating fast from the walking up the hill but did the anxiety of looking at that post and it going out of my view harm the heart at all?

Hello again Kevin! Looking at the post did not change your heart in any negative way. This is just anxiety related to your OCD. Your heart rate may have been slightly increased from walking but this is normal and healthy. You cannot harm your heart by staring at an object. Just like we talked about before there is no connection between an object you look at and your heart function.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you so much so even if your heart is beating fast and you are still staring and moving away from the object like the post at the same time that is safe for the heart as well?

Yes you are safe. The heart rate may be increased by the walking and was not caused by the staring. When you lost sight of the post it did not harm your body in any way including your heart function.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Today I went for a walk with my friend on a different trail. Only time I kept looking at a white rock in a distance on a water bank. My friend snapped my rubber band on my wrist and I only looked back once. So basically the vision no matter how long or short we see something in view or out of view it has no correlation to the heart function as we discussed?

Yes that is correct Kevin. No matter how long or short a time you make eye contact with an object you will not harm your body in any way including your heart.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you so much and that goes for staring and moving away as well?

Yes the staring and moving away both will not harm you in any way.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I made a mistake by staring at an actor on a tv program I was watching on dvd he was wearing a headband and I started to fixate on it. I felt anxious like pausing the dvd but I just let it play out. Again no correlation to heart by looking and then not seeing the headband and the anxious was just a little anxiety talking?

Yes as we talked about before seeing an object does not create a link between your body and the object so your body is not harmed when you no longer see the object. You did the right thing by not pausing and letting the scene go on. You just are experiencing the normal anxiety we have talked about before and you can in no way harm your body by losing sight of an object or staring at it. This thread is getting awfully long and we have discussed several instances so if you don't mind rating this we can start a new thread with any additional questions at: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-c-coleman/ That way we don't have to scroll all the way down the page to reply.