Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

I have a health insurance through my work place but the deductible

Customer Question

I have a health insurance through my work place but the deductible is very high ($5000). I was wondering if I can buy supplemental health insurance to lower my deductible and cover the things that are not covered by my insurance. If so, which companies offer these supplemental insurances and what are they called? (I see medicare supplemental insurance, but I don't think that is what I am looking for)
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 3 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

You would have to buy an additional policy with another insurance company or if you are married-be put on their policy as the spouse and this would give you secondary coverage.

However, what most folks don't really realize is that even your secondary insurance may have a deductible you have to meet before they will pay anything toward claims as well.

You are correct, having a Medicare supplement type of thing is not what you need nor is there such a thing for commercial insurance. You basically have to pick the plan that has the lowest deductible or get a secondary on your own to go with it (which in itself could be very expensive) or be secondary on a spouses insurance.

Sometimes health plans will offer a HRA (health reimbursement account) which helps to offset the costs of deductibles and things like that but you'd have to call your insurance company to be sure.