Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

hello, for over some months now my mouth taste very, very bitter

Customer Question

hello, for over some months now my mouth taste very, very bitter and smell
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today .I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Do you have history of recent infection?
Are you taking any medications now?
Is there any other known medical illness?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no infection, no medication

Dear Alice,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

Bitter taste/metallic Taste in Mouth is scientifically known as ‘Dysgeusia'.This is not serious but is of concern.

It can be due to following causes:

-Dental caries (Foul Taste),
-Oral infections like gingivitis or periodontitis,
-Fluctuation in hormone especially estrogen levels,
-Blood pressure medications
-Poor oral hygiene.
-Hormonal imbalance
-Gastritis (Foul Taste)or Gastro-esophageal Reflux Disease(GERD)

You need to consult your doctor.Till then take citrus juices, lemonade and foods marinated in vinegar.This will increase the saliva production & removing the metallic taste of mouth. Every time you brush your teeth, make sure to brush your tongue also.It will help in lessening the metallic taste.

Exact diagnosis can only be made after physical & clinical examination.So I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor for these tests & examination to know the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I guess i am having a reflu esophageal disease. because i m experiencing it.

Dear Alice,
I am happy to answer your follow up question.

GERD(gastro esophageal reflux disease) is a condition in which the esophagus becomes irritated or inflamed because of acid backing up from the stomach.

Following are the tests that confirm the GERD:

-Endoscopy,
-Barium swallow & barium meal
-Esophagogastroduodenoscopy(EGD)

To get relief from GERD,take antacid- Gaviscon.It contains alginic acid and sodium bicarbonate. The combination of the alginic acid and bicarbonate will create a a foam barrier which floats on the stomach acid,providing great relief.

Take tab.Ranitidine(Zantac) 150 mg twice a day.Both these are available without a prescription.Avoid smoking & alcohol consumption.Dont take fried,spicy,salty,chilly food items.All this will help you greatly to keep your symptoms at bay.

Hope this helped
My main motive is your satisfaction.If you still have any questions in mind,please feel free to ask.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks alot

I will meet my doctor tomorrow and get back to you.

Dear Alice,

Yes,for the confirmation of GERD you need the above described tests & then medications will be prescribed accordingly.

You need to consult the gastro doctor regarding this.

Also please do not forget to rate my answer as this is the only way by which an expert can get credit for his work.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok i will surely do that

Dear Alice,

Your doctor may prescribe you medications like H-2-receptor blockers,Antacids that neutralize stomach acid,Pro-motility drugs , Medications to reduce acid production, Foam barriers ( that are composed of an antacid and a foaming agent).

And please do not forget to rate my answer as this is the only way by which an expert can get credit for his work.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles