Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

Hello there, Please help, I have have white patched on my

Hello there,
Please help, I have have white patched on my arms, face and all over my body - loss of pigmentation. I am over 40 years old woman and it is now almost 2 years since I noticed these white patches and they seem to be increasing. One part of my arm where there are these patches often feels hot. I was in a very stressful job for over 3 years but left it- could this have contributed? My doctors won't prescribe anything thing - please help.

Associated itching,peeling of skin?

Have you seen a dermatologist so far?

Any other medical history?

Are you taking any medications?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is no associated itching or peeling, only loss of pigmentation in patches on arms, face and other parts of body. Feeling of heat sensation on one affected arm.

Have seen dermatologist who did tests but not prescribed anything. Not taking any medicine at the moment.

Have history of diabetis in family.

Thanks for providing more information.

Well possible causes of white pigmentation on skin may include

Vitiligo- a condition in which the body produces antibodies to the melanocytes, the cells that make pigment.

This is best treated with either a mid-to strong steroid cream such as Betamethasone Diproionate, a Vitamin D3 ointment such as Vectical or a calcineurin inhibitor such as Protopic ointment.

You can try OTC cream called Melgain lotion on the white spots at night and expose to sunlight the next day in the morning for 10 minutes.
If these fail, then the Eximer Laser.

I would recommend Vitamin C 500 mg. twice a day, Iron and Folic Acid as supplements.

Tinea Versicolor-fungal infection occurs more commonly on moist areas,excessive sweating.

You can also apply Clotrimazole cream to the affected area nightly for a month.
You can try ZNP soap or zinc pyrithione soap. Apply this in the shower, lather and leave on for five minutes, then rinse off.

Post inflammatory hypopigmentation.

Having said this,the treatments depends on the underlying cause so if your symptoms'll persist then consult your dermatologist again.

I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I get any of the prescriptions you listed above off the counter?

Unfortunately you may require prescription of Betamethasone Diproionate, a Vitamin D3 ointment from your doctor.

You can get Over the counter Melgain lotion,vitamin C,Clotrimazole cream ZNP soap or zinc pyrithione soap at your nearby drug store without prescription.

Main line of treatment usually given as per underlying cause.

It is strongly advised not to ignore your symptoms if it is widespreading to other parts of body.

And consult your doctor again as well.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.