Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.

Hi Melatonin long-term use I was wondering if there are any

Hi Melatonin long-term use I was wondering if there are any new studies prohibiting the practice thank you. (I take 1 to 2mg a day)
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Long term melatonin usage has been shown to cause daytime sleepiness, dizziness and headaches in some people.
Tolerance to melatonin may occur although it as never been approved by the FDA and Heath Canada/Santé Canada has denied approval of melatonin due to lack of efficacy. Due to the lack of information it is hard to say if tolerance develops to long term melatonin use.

There are some clinical study groups which do not approve the long term use of melatonin, however these studies are not approved by any university and is still under evaluation. Melatonin can interact with certain drugs like aspirin (and related anti coagulant drugs), birth control pills, diabetes controlling medicines , so if you are taking any of these medicines, you need to be careful and consult your doctor.
1 to3 mg per day is not a high dose but you should talk to your doctor if you need to try prescription medicines for clinical problem rather than being on melatonin for long term.

If you have any further question, I would be happy to help you.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to choose accept or to rate me excellent service ( 5 or 4 positive rating)to give credit for my answer and time.Bonuses are warmly appreciated.