Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

my eosinophils are high 20 in Dec and 18 now. I have bad eczema

my eosinophils are high 20 in Dec and 18 now. I have bad eczema on my hand and allergic rhinitis. do i have to be concerned and have further testing: chest xray, allergist? I had allergy testing in my 20s and don't want to do it again.

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

If you have always had eczema and allergies (allergic rhinitis), this could be in response to a flare up of it....higher than normal levels of eosinophils are related to skin conditions, asthma, even allergies to drugs. You could see an allergy Dr to help you get your eczema under control, but I don't think you'll have to do allergy testing again unless you just want it done. However, a new allergy Dr may want to know if you have developed any new allergies, so that is up to you so since you don't want it, you can tell them that you've had them before and don't want to repeat it. I would keep a check on the eosinophils and try to get the eczema under control so the count will come down. Reply back if I can help you further or if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've had a flare up all winter of hand eczema and got a corticosteroid Rx yesterday. My Zyrtec stopped working 1 1/2 months ago and I'm super sneezy, blocked nose, itchy face. But my doctor said to get a chest X-ray and see an immunologist-allergist. Then I went and read online about eon and Hodgkin's lymphoma and eonicinphils collecting in your heart/other organs causing death and freaked myself out bad. I really want to know that this high of eon is eczema /allergy related and not have to do needless X-rays and dr visits. I will use the cream
Oh goodness, you have been having a major exacerbation of it. I can understand your concerns too. Basically, the eczema and allergies in general will have to be gotten under control or the eos's won't come down. Flares of allergic episodes and sporadic spikes in the eos's won't cause a collection in the heart and other organs. However, if your's constantly stay high and have been high for quite some time, that might be the reason for the xray. He/She is most likely wanting to look at the heart and lungs, so yes, that is a factor. I would go ahead and have the xray to put everyones mind at ease and then just get a better handle on the allergies and eczema. Getting a handle on the allergies will ultimately help you out long term. So, I don't think the xray is needless, it's quick and anything odd needs to be ruled out and then move forward with getting control on this eczema.