Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.

My 89 y r. old Mother lives with my Twin and I, we are both

My 89 y r. old Mother lives with my Twin and I, we are both R.N.'s She has had a foley catheter for 1 yr. 2 months. Changed q6 weeks with HHNurse who comes only for change and lab work ...she is alert, has CHF, COPD, Diabetes and Kidney failure. She has a 16 foley cath 30 cc bag....We start getting leakage after 2 weeks of foley cath change. She gets much sediment, we irrigate as needed, but seems to be necessary daily after the 2 weaks. Pressure from b.m. makes it worse. What can be causing this...Spasms intermittedly, but leakage starts after 2 weeks in, Should we request Ditropan? She is stable with her meds....But this is getting frustrating...we change bags weekly due to sediment strands, etc. Any suggestions most helpful. thank you
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Does she leak urine by the catheter sides?

Is the urine sediment colorless?

Have you done a urine culture?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Coming from the Urethra, insertion site. Again doesn't start til about 2 weeks after it has been changed

she has had sediment on and off since insertion. It is thick, stringy, which makes us needing to irrigate, thinking this is causing blockage. Urine odor strong, When she was running low grade fever in past did UA, culture and round of antibiotics. But fever now, so not done. Doctor is reluctant to order antibiotics due to "resistance", developing due to long term. We can request tho...

our biggest concern is the leakage after 2 weeks in, and seems to have more more sediment causing us to irrigate. The bags have to be changed weekly...

Alright. The urine leakage could be due to overactive urinary bladder, detrusor overactivity or there could be chronic cystitis. So, you should talk to the urologist and get a "urodynamic study" to know the exact reason for the urine leakage. This will tell you if the bladder is overactive or there is overactive sphincters.

It is also important to exclude badder cancer which can rarely be seen with chronic catheterization. Get an ultrasound if the KUB and a cystoscopy of the urinary bladder done.
The urine sediment and odor is very likely due to infection of the kidneys or the urinary bladder. It can also be due to albuminuria due to kidney failure itself.

So, I believe she needs a urine analysis and culture asap.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to choose accept or to rate me excellent service ( 5 or 4 positive rating)to give credit for my answer and time.Bonuses are warmly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We cannot take her in for any studies. She is basically Palliative Care so work directly with the Doctor. No need to do ultrasound or KUB, Yes her albumin is high.....we just need some tips on palliative care, control of the leakage? She can certainly have chronic cystitis we have given her azogantrisin otc, would Diprovan be helpful?

I believe the ditropan would be helpful and will take care of the leakage too. Secondly, the catheter could also get encrusted with the sediment which may be causing the leakage. So, irrigating the catheter is of utmost importance.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the emergency room.
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am also a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today. I felt the need to chime in on this one regarding the leakage. 99% of the time, the cause of leakage is due to the extended use of a catheter and the urethra loses tone because of this (and also her age). First intervention would be to remove the foley she has now and reinsert a larger Fr catheter. Also, limit the irrigation as this continues to reintroduce bacteria into her bladder (which is otherwise a sterile organ). Threads, mucus and sediment are most likely due to bacteria that is currently in her bladder (urinary tract) and I would certainly push for antibiotics to clear this up asap. But most of all, increase your foley size and make sure the balloon is properly inflated. The '2 week' point could mean that gravity is letting the saline leak from the balloon over time combined with the foley size being too small. Hold off on requesting the Ditropan until all of the other issues have been resolved (improper cath size and infection). Don't forget to check your balloon prior to insertion (to make sure there are no leaks prior to insertion) and also advance the catheter in enough so that the balloon is not on the sphincter...and make sure the tubing is never kinked and causing it to leak. If all else fails, I would have a Urologist take a look at her anatomy to make sure she doesn't have a fistula so that she is able to urinate from both her vagina and urethra (urine leaks from her urethra into her vagina).