Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

My 22 month old granddaughter was born three months premature

My 22 month old granddaughter was born three months premature weighing only 2 lb. 4 oz. I noticed when she was younger that one eye seemed to cross . This condition did not correct itself. My granddaughter lives out of state but I brought her to a pediatric optomologist in my area who said that the baby has an eye condition in which both eyes gravitate outward and he recommended surgery on both eyes. He mentioned that she could develop depth perception blindness and an inability I believe to track etc. My husband and I then brought her to an optomologist in her home state who briefly looked at her and said "bring her back when she is 6 or 7" but did acknowledge upon questioning that the eye condition would not improve or could get worse. Two completely different opinions. My husband and I have tentatively scheduled surgery for her with our local expert in May. My concern is that she will not be able to learn to read if her eyes don't track well. Her father had a conversion insufficiency problem which resulted in some learning difficulties in his early years. Our granddaughter will not focus on books even briefly. When we brought her to the zoo, she couldn't seem to attend when animals were pointed out at a distance. Please give me advice as to how to proceeed. Thank you. Linda

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

I work in NICU and have seen premature babies born with the inability to track. This is due (the biggest part) to the fact that their neurological system is not developed fully yet. With time, most babies will be able to focus and track as they get a tad older. I saw where you listed the age of the child as 22 months old. If this is the case, and the baby is still having offset focus, a lot of times I do see the parents opting for surgery. It is better to correct it early in an effort to preserve the learning abilities and also to see if the surgery will work and if it doesn't, that will still allow time for a possible secondary surgery and the child not be 'too old' when they have it done.

Unfortunately, premeeies sometimes do have very under-developed neurological systems and some grow to be completely normal and some need a little help. The uncertain part is the success of the surgery. I'm sure the surgeon has told you guys that it 'may or may not help'. -that is the bad part.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the helpful information. The physician who recommended surgery reports a 95% success rate on the first surgery. Perhaps he was overstating it or simply has confidence in his ability to fix the problem. His "making money" on this case is not a factor in his decision .Although he does do surgery at a for profit type hospital, he will be doing our granddaugter's surgery for us at a local children's hospital where he will receive little or no financial renumeration. He did not mention "may or may not help".He stated in some cases the child will need a second surgery. The question I have, is could the surgery make the condition worse? Why don't they patch it? Is that procedure out of favor?. The pediatrician said they do some type of chemical patching but neither doctor mentioned anything like that.

This child is our miracle baby who was born to a mother who survived major cancer, and despite our granddaughter's extreme prematurity, she is a happy, beautiful little girl who loves life and we want to do everything we can to help her achieve her potential in life.

.Thanks,

Linda

Linda

What a wonderful little story Linda. Thank you for sharing that.

Most times when patching is not suggested or recommened is when the visual issues or the eyes are so offset that something more dramatic is needed. Patching can help issues like a lazy eye, but when both eyes are involved and are not improving with age, the surgery is a more aggressive approach with faster, more dramatic outcomes. I will hope that she comes out of surgery with great success and you guys are all pleased.